Inventor questions/unknown dimensions

Sengna

I am modeling this part in inventor and don't know the dim that was mark in red? the dia of the two circles were given and 50mm from one end was also given but the total length of the obj was not given. Does anyone know what is the unknown dim in red?.

By ignore one unknown dim and continue working. how can i make one of the circle tangent smoothly but not going in the hole as it shown on red arrow on the image? (Note: Dia has to be 54.58 mm (27.29x2). please advice if there is other alternate method the model this part.

Thank.

unknown dims.JPG

2tangent pts.JPG

Edited by Sengna

without drawing it out to confirm, I would agree that you are missing that dimension. I would probably try "about" 15 as it looks about the same as the thickness of that web.

without drawing it out to confirm, I would agree that you are missing that dimension. I would probably try "about" 15 as it looks about the same as the thickness of that web.

But that is just roughly estimated right? not for sure. I wish if i know the total length of the obj, i can calculate it easily.

as for your second question one way is to draw a circle using the TTR option. Give your two tangents and the radius.

Sorry. Just woke up, That is good idea but the question is that how can I use TTR in inventor. I was able to snap the tangent point on the left using tangent constrain but you can't really do on the right side because the dia too big. I was wondering If I can just use the arc command or line command and while in line command hold it and make arc.

Sorry. Just woke up, ....

Apparently dbroada hasn't finished that cup of coffee. There is no TTR (AutoCAD) in Inventor, but Inventor will automatically apply the tangents for you.

Missing Dimension.jpg

But there is a missing dimension.

Edited by JD Mather

Apparently dbroada hasn't finished that cup of coffee. There is no TTR (AutoCAD) in Inventor, but Inventor will automatically apply the tangents for you.

JD rules when it a questions of inventor never doubt it

By ignore the unknown dim and keep working, i was able to make them tangent. I was having trouble with making the top part fully constrained by missing one more dim, I had a feeling that i need to give one last dim to lock the center of the two circles with some sort of x axis but i don't know if that is a correct way to do because 66.276 mm as shown on my image, it was not given on the exercise. can somebody confirm if 66.276 is correct or any other dim that i need to apply??. Is it okay to extrude with one dim is needed. thanks.

not fully CST.jpg

Pratice Part.ipt

Where did you get this problem?

I would explain to the source that the 27.29mm dimension does not make logical sense.

I would first delete that dimension and then place some logical dimension (like 65 or 66) between centers of the holes.

You will have to make up dimensions since the original designer does not understand what they were doing based on the available evidence.

[ATTACH]48644[/ATTACH]

But there is a missing dimension.

First, how did you get 20 mm dimension? any formula that you used to calculate?

how you get this.JPG

It is not obvious in that image - but that is the dimension of the circle in Sketch1 used for the hole. These are the same dimensions shown on your original.

It is not obvious in that image - but that is the dimension of the circle in Sketch1 used for the hole. These are the same dimensions shown on your original.

Ok. 27.29 mm seems odd number but i will fix it. I got this drawing from someone and made some copies for practice i am not sure where is originally from, it's good practice for me.

Edited by Sengna

What does it say in the feature tree in that image?

Where do you think the Chamfer (25mm x 50mm) is on that part?

Reading a feature tree isn't rocket science.

Sorry, i got it now, using chamfer (Dist 1=50mm and Dist 2=25mm), very easy tool to use. I can also sketch on the top surface and extrude cut but it will take longer. I will check out the link. Thanks