Recommendations for VBA Forums?

lamensterms

Hey guys,

I'm just diversifying a little and exploring possibilities of VBA (mainly macros for Microsoft Office).

Just wondering if anyone could please recommend a good forum (active and friendly) to help me on my VBAing quest.

I have recently registered to:

- Excel Help Forum

- VBA Express

But have found those two forums a little quiet.

Looking forward to hearing back.

my understanding of VBA is that Microsoft no longer support it. It can still be used in AutoCAD but has been removed from Office. As such I don't think there will be that many vibrant fora around. The sub forum here is a good place to get advice once you have got to the pulling out hair but there are only a few people who look in there.

In other words, sorry - I can't.

my understanding of VBA is that Microsoft no longer support it.

Where did you get that from, I hope not. I used to find the forums from microsoft really helpfull for learning VBA, but they did change the layout a couple of years ago and that made it really difficult to find things. I haven't used them for quite some time. I also found that CPearson had some really good information

no official site but I thought the reason that VBA was dropped from AutoCAD (and subsequently sort of supported) was because MS no longer wanted it included. We are all meant to be using .net now. It is quite usual for me to get the wrong idea about things though.

Much like Windows XP, VBA isn't going anywhere, anytime soon... It shall die off one day, but through attrition, IMO.

Microsoft Support /= Available to use

That said, I'd still strongly urge VBA developers to start learning one or more of the various .NET languages, but not because Microsoft is going to prevent you from using VBA. The .NET API is easy to use, is more efficient in terms of processing time, and an ever-growing aspect of the myriad Object Models are being exposed to .NET API (i.e., AutoCAD, MS Office, etc.).

I dabble in MS Office development for internal tools using VSTO, and find it incredibly simple to use having no prior knowledge of the MS Office Object Model; don't forget that one can still (and in some cases may still be required to) use COM within .NET API, by way of late-binding, dynamic type, etc.

... My $0.02

Hi guys, thanks a lot for the input.

So, generally speaking... If I were to develop tools for Office products, using an alternative to the macros and VBA IDE... Would I need additional software or add-ons? Say .NET for example, I have been advised to learn .NET for ProSteel development, but from what I understand... I need a dedicated program in order to... Well, program.

I use VBA extensively for Excel, thats why I hope it isn't being withdrawn, from what I can see microsoft are introducing the ability to use the web development tools for programming (so Html, CSS and javascript) which looks interesting. I'll have to look into what that means, and how it will work

as I prefer BASIC and its offspring I have VBExpress for my VB.Net programming. I don't use it often enough to say how good it is. I need to relearn it each time but I'm getting there.

I have VBExpress 9 & 10 on this machine here. I'm sure BB will correct me if I'm wrong so I will say that I think 9 is to compile for 32 bit and 10 for 64 bit.

edit ======================

looks like BB & I hit return at the same time. He knows more than me so ignore this one.

So, generally speaking... If I were to develop tools for Office products, using an alternative to the macros and VBA IDE... Would I need additional software or add-ons? Say .NET for example, I have been advised to learn .NET for ProSteel development, but from what I understand... I need a dedicated program in order to... Well, program.

If your alternative is .NET API, then yes... You'd need to download and install Visual Studio, but there are some considerations.

In terms of developing .NET code for Autodesk products alone, Visual Studio Express 2012 (free) is sufficient. You might also consider downloading the Autodesk .NET Wizard; not required but is helping if just starting to develop .NET apps for Autodesk products. This thread may also be of use.

However, in order to use VSTO for MS Office development, a full version of Visual Studio (paid; free 90-day trial) is required. There are various ways of getting the appropriate software, if new to .NET development, I'd suggest you consider a subscription that includes MSDN support.

Cheers

as I prefer BASIC and its offspring I have VBExpress for my VB.Net programming. I don't use it often enough to say how good it is. I need to relearn it each time but I'm getting there.

I have VBExpress 9 & 10 on this maching here. I'm sure BB will correct me if I'm wrong so I will say that I think 9 is to compile for 32 bit and 10 for 64 bit.

No worries, my friend; Any relatively new version of Visual Studio Express (I started with Express 2010) can compile for both 32-bit and 64-bit independently, or 'Any CPU' for non-COM solutions, which allows for a single compiled .NET assembly to work for either environment.

That said, back in Express 2010, each language was a stand-alone installation (i.e., C++ Express 2010, C# Express 2010, VB Express 2010, etc.), whereas in 2012 and newer, Express comes in for Web, for Windows, for Windows Desktop, and for Windows Phone 'flavors'... While 2013 is available, and can be used successfully, Autodesk still recommends Visual Studio 2012 on the Autodesk Developer Network page (scroll way down) even for AutoCAD 2015.

Cheers

Awesome thanks guys, looks like I've got some learning to do.

Thanks again for taking the time to discuss this stuff. I realise it is a bit off topic, but I really appreciate it.

looks like BB & I hit return at the same time. He knows more than me so ignore this one.

While incredibly kind of you to say, that is utterly untrue. :P

Awesome thanks guys, looks like I've got some learning to do.

Thanks again for taking the time to discuss this stuff. I realise it is a bit off topic, but I really appreciate it.

You're welcome; we're happy to help... Besides, interesting topics such as this are always welcome. :beer: