Xref Method not right...? Challenging One

MOORADAN

I recently joined in a Civil firm and they are using too many Xrefs in their plans ( I am 8 years experienced in Civil drafting, So I am not a beginner).. I strongly think the way they do their plans is not right, but before talking to them I need your advice on this.. Back to the problem…:x:x

For each plan with different scale, they have separate Xref drawings. For Eg. For plans 1:500, for texts they use one Xref with 1.25 text size for 2.5 text and 1:250 they use another Xref with text size 0.625 text size for 2.5… I used to do this with annotation texts previously keeping one set of texts with annotation… Now the situation is they have hell lot of Xref drawings in their job folder… Is it a right method…? I did not observe in any 4 companies I worked.

Another Example, a big hatch and site location cut out from the area, they keep different drawings scaled as xrefs and attach to different scaled plans ( X_sitehatch_500 & X_sitehatch_200)…

Hope you guys clear about this… Bit vastly explained… Waiting for your reply….o:)

Their system sounds absolutely terrible. I can udnerstand using xrefs for large civil jobs and xrefing in cross sections, long sections, alignments etc although not for annotation and hatching as you described, it sounds a joke.

Organic, just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it's a joke. There is a method there and it does make a bit of sense if you consider that more recent advancements have outdated the methodology.

MOORADAN, IMHO, any time that you can eliminate the duplication of information you also eliminate the time and possible errors when making the same change in multiple places. It sounds like you know what needs to be done. Make a sample project using up to date methods and show it off.

Please report back with the reaction.

Thanks guys for the reply... That gives me some confidence... I am planning to prepare a sample project and show them.. Will update here... :)

Organic, just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it's a joke. There is a method there and it does make a bit of sense if you consider that more recent advancements have outdated the methodology.

I understand why they would do it although I still say it is a inefficient and costly in time (and thus money).

Now the situation is they have hell lot of Xref drawings in their job folder… Is it a right method…?
Sounds like it's a right method if they're using an AutoCAD vertical product where it manages XREF's auto-magically. If not, then there's got to be a method to the madness. My advice would be to learn it first so you can make an educated assessment on their internal procedures.

The one that can irritate people at a company you just joined is starting a sentence with "Well at my last company...." Just get in a groove for now and approach them in a suggestive form if it is in fact an inefficient and unorthodox method.

tzframpton is right rocking the boat just because you did it differently at other companies is not prudent at this point. They may have adopted CAD standards from way back but never updated or reviewed them. There's a reason for how they're doing things. Find out what that reason is first. I would find out if there is a CAD standards manager, if there is not a manager suggest creating that position then nominate yourself for it and get a raise. Oh looky there I just improved the quality of your life and made you more sustainable to the company. Ok maybe not.

While you guys are right to a certain extent, sometimes there is an elephant in the room. Letting it sit there is just a waste of time. I can think of a few things off the top of my head that I brought to the table when first starting a position. Changes were made and I has heartily thanked. (My first drafting position, fresh out of school and new to the field, netted me two raises in the first month because of my insight and initiative.)

I do agree with not using the phrase "Well at my last company..." Some people stop listening before you get any further. Phrases like, "Have you ever thought of...?" or "How about trying this out...?" are more apt to spark interest.

While you guys are right to a certain extent, sometimes there is an elephant in the room. Letting it sit there is just a waste of time.
I guess I will have to agree to disagree on this one. I believe in the 90-day evaluation policy, where as an employee you get a feel for the company and as a company they get a feel for you.

Can you come in and during the first week discover inefficiencies? Of course you can. But more often than not, you would be causing a disruption in the current operations of a company. Things must be assessed, documented and planned. It's better for both sides (new employee and company) to allow things to progress naturally through the first 90 days.

And a company can let you go for any reason other than ethnicity, religious/political preference, criminal history and other discriminatory items. Sometimes it's best (as a company) to make sure a person's personality "fits" the company's current staff.

The point is, when you're a brand new employee there are many other things that are more important than approaching someone immediately about current methods and procedures. Smaller companies can be the exception, but medium sized to larger sized corporations are definitely in line with my main points. I guess if there is a procedure that is so difficult for a new employee to handle where it truly warrants an immediate action, then best bet is to plan the approach to the direct supervisor in the most suggestive format as you can.

-Tannar

I am really surprised you would do as you suggested. You don't seem like the type that likes the feeling of your own thumb you know where. Granted, procedures should be followed but sitting and waiting, not for me.

You don't seem like the type that likes the feeling of your own thumb you know where.
I don't seem like the "type"? This is true... I'm not a fan of inefficiencies. I'm definitely the "type" of person who loves promoting new technologies, new skills, new everything.... while never scared to challenge a current method or procedure. However, as a person and as a professional in my career I have learned certain boundaries that are very real with every situation and circumstance. So I will put my own passions aside for the time being and get a feel for a company and when the time is right I'll make my move.

If I make a move too prematurely then I've not put the company first but myself first. Because it's what "I" want. But what if what "I" want isn't what the "company" wants? How would I know unless I understand their methods and procedures first? If I wait until the time is right, or if my approach is done correctly if it's a "must" within the first week of employment, then I've put the company first which is always the best way about doing things.