Imported dwg file invisible in rendering in 3ds Max

Zox

I drew some building in Autocad and I wanted to render it in 3ds Max so I imported it and it's fine and visible, but when I click "render" it does not render it as if it's invisible. It only renders stuff I made in Max like skydome and below surface, but not the building I drew unless I select it and then in the render setup I set under "Area to render" > "selected", then It's visible but if I just set under "Area to render" > "view" then it's invisible.

So what am I doing wrong? - since it used to work.

What version of Studio Max are you using?

Have you set up a camera or are you just rendering the view in your viewport?

What do you mean when you say "it used to work"?

I mean I used to work on autocad 2012 and max 2012 but now switched to 2015 versions for both and Max pretty much stayed the same. I used to routinely imported from autocad to max for rendering, that's what I mean.

And I'm just rendering the viewport. My guess is I don't turn on something in importing dialog box in max when I'm importing dwg?

My guess is I don't turn on something in importing dialog box in max when I'm importing dwg?

You said you can see the model in the viewport and if you render "selection" it renders. So importing should not be the problem.

Try adding a camera. Set your view the way you want it in the viewport and then hit Ctrl+C to set a camera to that view. Then try rendering "View" and see what happens.

What do you know it works now. Thanks!

BTW is there some way to pick camera view in the render setup menu?

EDIT: I think the problem was that the skydome was too small and I rendered it from outside without noticing it first in preview but then when it rendered it was behind it. :oops:

Yeah, I figured the problem was probably the skydome, that's why I suggested adding a camera.

You can't choose "camera view" from the render setup menu. Just leave it set to "View" and it will default to whatever you see in your active viewport.