Isometric Drawings

CADgirl

At my job we do isometric drawings. Currently, we are doing them in 3D, using SE isometric view. Recently we have been updating our drawing standards. Out of curiosity, I asked why we do the isometrics in 3D when they can be done in 2D using isometric snap. My boss told me to put together a pros and cons list for both sides to see which way is the best. What I'm seeing so far is that it's best to do it in 3D since using isometric snap is a little outdated.

What are your thoughts on this? Any arguments for 3D? or 2D?

Thanks!

3D is the way to go. Blocks can be used without making multiple ones for 2D isometrics. Dimensions are done with built-in dimensioning tools. Text is added without having multiple styles for isometric. Circles instead of ellipses. Lines that are non-isometric are easy to add in 3D as angles are actual angles. You can use array in 3D. If a view from another angle makes more sense you don't have to redraw, just adjust the angle. I am sure there are lots more.

I agree with rkent. 3D is definitely the way to go. We made the switch from 2D isometrics to 3D a few years back and found it to be much easier to create a drawing. One area of improvement had to do with rolling offsets that can be a PITA when done in a 2D iso.

Not only this, but if you do have to include a 2-D isometric you cna generate some extremely quickly using the FLATSHOT command.