+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Newbie
    Using
    AutoCAD 2014

AutoCAD Viewport Scales are too big

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

I'm running AutoCAD 2014 on a Macbook pro but I've had this problem when I was running 2012 on the same laptop.

I've done my drawing in model space in millimetres, but when I try to set a viewport in paperspace at any scale it zooms the drawing in way bigger than the scale should be.

I've checked that the paper is the size I thought it was etc. I found out that AutoCAD was setting my insertion units and paper units to inches automatically, but when I created a new file to change them both to mm I still have the same problem. The scales don't seem to have any relation to the actual scale they should be (eg 10x bigger)

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Computer Details
    BlackBox's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 8.1 Professional, Server 2012 R2 Datacenter
    Computer:
    Dell Precision T3600
    CPU:
    Hex-Core Intel Xeon 3.2Ghz
    RAM:
    32GB
    Graphics:
    3GB NVIDIA Quadro K4000
    Primary Storage:
    2 x 240GB Samsung EVO SSD (RAID 0)
    Secondary Storage:
    1TB Western Digital VelociRaptor 10K RPM
    Monitor:
    Dual 24" Dell Ultrasharp Widescreen Monitors
    Discipline
    Civil
    BlackBox's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Senior Civil Designer
    Discipline
    Civil
    Details
    Public/Private Land Development, Transportation, and Utilities.
    Using
    Civil 3D 2016

Welcome to CADTutor.

If you're using the ZOOM Command through an activated Viewport, then ensure that your scale ratio entry is in this format: 1/20XP (lower case "xp" is fine).

Otherwise, simply select the inactive Viewport from PaperSpace, and change the Annotation Scale, which has a one-way relationship with the Standard Scale setting (i.e., changing Standard Scale in Properties Pane, or via ZOOM Command as noted above, does not change Annotation Scale).

Cheers
    "Potential has a shelf life." - Margaret Atwood
    AutoCAD, and Civil 3D Certified Professional | Autodesk Authorized Developer
    Sincpac C3D ~ Exchange Apps ~ Autoloader ~ AutoCAD Security

Using
    AutoCAD 2013
    At the confluence of worthlessness & invaluability

Welcome to CADTutor.
    What template are you starting your drawing from? The default one will be an Imperial based .dwt file.
    Try using one of the templates, the name of which ends with ISO, as they are metric.
    Click on the big A up in the left hand corner, and select NEW, DRAWING and you will be linked to the template dialog box,
    where you can specify what template you want to use to create your new drawing.
    That will probably help you.
    If you typically draw in metric units, then you should go to OPTIONS, on the FILES tab
    open the TEMPLATE SETTINGS link, then reset the Default QNEW Drawing template to one of the metric ones.
    In that way, when you press the QNEW icon, the metric template which you have specified will be used.
    Last edited by Dadgad; 12th May 2014 at 12:48 am.
    Volume and repetition do not validate opinions forged in the absence of thought.

Computer Details
    ReMark's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    Intel DX58SO2 LGA1366 X58
    CPU:
    Intel i7-960 Quad-core 3.20GHz 8MB cache
    RAM:
    12GB (3x4GB) PC3-106000 DDR3
    Graphics:
    nVidia Quadro K4200, 4GB GDDR5
    Primary Storage:
    150GB Velocipraptor 10,000 rpm
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Dell P24LLH - 24" wide screen LCD
    Discipline
    See details...
    ReMark's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    CAD Draftsman/Designer...chemical manufacturing.
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    I work for a specialty chemical manufacturer. I do a little bit of everything from P&IDs to civil to architectural and structural.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

Let's cut to the chase shall we?

Attach a copy of the DWG file to your next post. Someone here will take a look at it.
    "I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college." The Police

Eat brains...gain more knowledge!

I'm now a full member of the Society for the Promotion of Mediocrity in CAD. Standards? We don't need no stinkin' standards! Take whatever advice I offer and do the opposite.

Forum Newbie
    Using
    AutoCAD 2014

Thanks for the replies!

I opened a new drawing from an ISO template and my viewports are at the right scale now
    I tried fiddling around with my old drawing to convert it to mm (I think I must have drawn it in inches) but in the end I just decided to redraw it on a metric template.

I also set my default template to be metric. For anyone interested, to do this on a mac you go to AutoCAD 2014 > Preferences > Application > Template Settings > Default Template File Name for QNEW

Thanks for the help

Using
    AutoCAD 2013
    At the confluence of worthlessness & invaluability

Quote Originally Posted by roudini View Post
    Thanks for the replies!

I opened a new drawing from an ISO template and my viewports are at the right scale now
    I tried fiddling around with my old drawing to convert it to mm (I think I must have drawn it in inches) but in the end I just decided to redraw it on a metric template.

I also set my default template to be metric. For anyone interested, to do this on a mac you go to AutoCAD 2014 > Preferences > Application > Template Settings > Default Template File Name for QNEW

Thanks for the help
    Congratulations, glad you got it sorted out, and have set a personally appropriate default template for regular use.
    In the future, should you need to change a drawing which has been done in errant units, there is a way, at least on a PC.
    I am not sure if you will have this option on a MAC version of the software.

The command you would use on a PC is -dwgunits , be sure to include the hyphen.
    Read the commandline prompts carefully, and you will be lead through the process
    of rectifying the drawing units and it will also rescale whatever needs rescaling.
    You should probably make a copy of a drawing, and experiment with the command on it,
    and put it throught the paces. If you still have your old one, try using it, as it is now expendable.
    Last edited by Dadgad; 12th May 2014 at 01:57 am.
    Volume and repetition do not validate opinions forged in the absence of thought.

Computer Details
    Dana W's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 8 64 bit
    Computer:
    Dell XPS ONE 2710
    Motherboard:
    Dunno
    CPU:
    Intel I-5 3330S @ 2.7 Ghz
    RAM:
    6 Gb
    Graphics:
    On board barely adequate
    Primary Storage:
    1 Terrabyte
    Secondary Storage:
    1 Terrabyte external
    Monitor:
    All in one 27" touch & pen
    Discipline
    Construction
    Dana W's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Architectural Millwork Designer/Draftsman
    Discipline
    Construction
    Details
    Custom commercial millwork.
    Using
    AutoCAD LT 2018

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Quote Originally Posted by roudini View Post
    Thanks for the replies!

Thanks for the help
    It wasn't the scale that was too big. 1000 inches is waaaaaaaaaay longer than 1000 mm, or even 1000 cm for that matter.
    The S197 gen Ford Mustang, and the F-4 Phantom both prove the same theory. "With enough power applied, a school bus will fly."