Viewport Scales are too big

roudini

I'm running AutoCAD 2014 on a Macbook pro but I've had this problem when I was running 2012 on the same laptop.

I've done my drawing in model space in millimetres, but when I try to set a viewport in paperspace at any scale it zooms the drawing in way bigger than the scale should be.

I've checked that the paper is the size I thought it was etc. I found out that AutoCAD was setting my insertion units and paper units to inches automatically, but when I created a new file to change them both to mm I still have the same problem. The scales don't seem to have any relation to the actual scale they should be (eg 10x bigger)

Any ideas would be much appreciated! :)

Welcome to CADTutor.

If you're using the ZOOM Command through an activated Viewport, then ensure that your scale ratio entry is in this format: 1/20XP (lower case "xp" is fine).

Otherwise, simply select the inactive Viewport from PaperSpace, and change the Annotation Scale, which has a one-way relationship with the Standard Scale setting (i.e., changing Standard Scale in Properties Pane, or via ZOOM Command as noted above, does not change Annotation Scale).

Cheers

Welcome to CADTutor. :)

What template are you starting your drawing from? The default one will be an Imperial based .dwt file.

Try using one of the templates, the name of which ends with ISO, as they are metric.

Click on the big A up in the left hand corner, and select NEW, DRAWING and you will be linked to the template dialog box,

where you can specify what template you want to use to create your new drawing.

That will probably help you.

If you typically draw in metric units, then you should go to OPTIONS, on the FILES tab

open the TEMPLATE SETTINGS link, then reset the Default QNEW Drawing template to one of the metric ones.

In that way, when you press the QNEW icon, the metric template which you have specified will be used.

Edited by Dadgad

Let's cut to the chase shall we?

Attach a copy of the DWG file to your next post. Someone here will take a look at it.

Thanks for the replies!

I opened a new drawing from an ISO template and my viewports are at the right scale now :)

I tried fiddling around with my old drawing to convert it to mm (I think I must have drawn it in inches) but in the end I just decided to redraw it on a metric template.

I also set my default template to be metric. For anyone interested, to do this on a mac you go to AutoCAD 2014 > Preferences > Application > Template Settings > Default Template File Name for QNEW

Thanks for the help :)

Thanks for the replies!

I opened a new drawing from an ISO template and my viewports are at the right scale now :)

I tried fiddling around with my old drawing to convert it to mm (I think I must have drawn it in inches) but in the end I just decided to redraw it on a metric template.

I also set my default template to be metric. For anyone interested, to do this on a mac you go to AutoCAD 2014 > Preferences > Application > Template Settings > Default Template File Name for QNEW

Congratulations, glad you got it sorted out, and have set a personally appropriate default template for regular use. :)

In the future, should you need to change a drawing which has been done in errant units, there is a way, at least on a PC.

I am not sure if you will have this option on a MAC version of the software.

The command you would use on a PC is -dwgunits , be sure to include the hyphen.

Read the commandline prompts carefully, and you will be lead through the process

of rectifying the drawing units and it will also rescale whatever needs rescaling.

You should probably make a copy of a drawing, and experiment with the command on it,

and put it throught the paces. If you still have your old one, try using it, as it is now expendable.

Edited by Dadgad

Thanks for the replies!

It wasn't the scale that was too big. 1000 inches is waaaaaaaaaay longer than 1000 mm, or even 1000 cm for that matter.:thumbsup: