Problem with AutoCAD LT 2015

Mr.Alex

I recently upgraded from LT 2014 to LT 2015, and basically can't use it. I've gone back to 2014.

It's an odd problem, which I'm sure is caused by some kind of bug. A little hard to describe, but here I go:

1. I have two drawings open

2. Whilst in paper space, I switch from one drawing to another using Ctrl + Tab, to copy and paste from drawing to drawing

3. When I switch back to my original drawing, the layout has changed to no longer fit the viewport (a bit hard to describe, but obviously wrong e.g. switched from landscape to portrait)

4. Then I get a 'FATAL ERROR: Unhandled Access Violation Reading 0x0029 Exception at e7729s48h'

This has never been a problem in any previous version of AutoCAD I've had, and I've used several now!

Anyone experienced anything similar, or have any tips? It's very frustrating!

Thanks,

Alex

• 2 weeks later...

Any ideas?

Think it's a software glitch or a problem specific to my machine? I assume the software, because I have used several other versions of AutoCAD and LT on the same machine without a problem.

Thanks,

Alex

2015 is not ready for prime time, I loaded it and determined that 2014 was a better choice for me. Maybe after a SP or two it will be ready.

My guess is it is your system or installation. Graphics card, maybe? Post you computer specs. In the mean time, try switching hardware acceleration. Off if it is On, On if it is Off. Your particular system determines which is better. There is a button for it in the lower right of the window. I know they changed that arrangement for 15 so I can't tell you exactly where it is.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not sure which bits would be relevant, but computer spec is as follows:

Dell Precision T1600

Intel Xeon CPU E31245 @ 3.30GHz

8GB RAM

64 Bit

Graphics - Quadro 600 1024mb DDR 3 (I updated the drivers since having this problem, which hasn't helped)

Good point about hardware acceleration, I'll give it a try. I'm pretty sure it's on now.

Edited by Mr.Alex

I've just had a play switching hardware acceleration on and off, and also smooth lines on and off. The problem still occurs.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Alex

If you haven't already done so, restart the machine.

If that doesn't work, and you are sure there is nothing that could be going on with the machine like full hard drive, too many application running, temp files folder too full, normal computer maintenance stuff, etc., a complete uninstall and reinstall may be in order. Be sure to look for AutoDesk's uninstallation procedure as it has specific instructions to do the complete uninstall.

Thanks for the reply. The only thing I thought might have been possible was my temp files folder, which hasn't been emptied for a while. Just emptied it though, and that didn't help. I think I'll have to try an uninstall, I don't think any of the other things you suggest apply.

Will give a reinstall a go!

Thanks,

Alex

I don't think any of the other things you suggest apply.

It worries me when I here that. If you are not sure, make sure. Proper computer maintenance is essential.

It's not too many applications running, I've tried it with just AutoCAD running. Hard disk is about 1/3 full, so can't be that either. Is there anything else you suggest I look at?

Not had the chance to do a reinstall yet, but I am planning to.

Thanks,

Alex

That's twice you did not mention any regular maintenance stuff like Disk Clean-Up, Defrag, Malware/Virus/Spyware scan, all programs/drivers up to date, etc. Also, check your start-up menu for programs that may run in the background. These things should all be ruled out before doing the reinstall.

• 4 weeks later...

RobDraw,

I've tried everything you suggest. Some things were part of regular maintenance that I do, but I am now following a good routine and am following this: http://www.pcworld.com/article/188123/pc_maintanence.html

I've updated everything I can think of, and completely uninstalled LT 2015 and reinstalled it, and I'm still having the same problems. I also installed service pack 1 when that was made available, and no joy.

Does anyone have any suggestions? It's basically completely unusable to me. If I try and contact AutoCAD, are they likely to be any help?

Thanks,

Alex

That maintenance list is missing a few things like emptying temp folders, updating drivers and software, and a couple additional scans. Find a more comprehensive list or build one of your own from multiple sources.

When you uninstalled AutoCAD, did you follow the method outlined by Autodesk on their website? There are some extra steps to get it completely uninstalled.

Mr. Alex,

In Windows navigate to

%temp%

you can just type that in at the top of the file explorer (WinKey+E).

Erase anything that is more than a day old.

Also stop using Ctrl+Tab, instead use the file tabs to navigate from file to file. Much quicker and it doesn't seem to make ACAD stumble like Ctrl+Tab does.

Thanks RobDraw,

I didn't no, but having a look now at their advice. Will also look at other maintenance items you suggest. Emptying temp folders, and updating drives and software I do, but probably not often enough. Have done all recently though, trying to resolve this issue.