Quick way to change multiple Layouts? Plot style --> PDF

Sbeth85

I keep needing to manually change the plotter settings for many Layouts in the files that I'm receiving (from many different consultants) to "DWG to PDF" and then clicking on "Display plot styles."

Is there a streamlined way to do this besides clicking on each Layout individually, right-clicking, page setup manager, etc?

Like a Macro or something? I tried recording my actions but it didn't work :(

Also-

WHY can't I change multiple Layouts through the Page Setup Manager? Each time I'm there, it only lets me click Modify for the layout page I'm currently looking at... I need to click out, switch Layouts, and then go back to the Layout Manager each time... Any tips???

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sbeth85

• RobDraw

• Spaj

• BIGAL

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep needing to manually change the plotter settings for many Layouts in the files that I'm receiving (from many different consultants) to "DWG to PDF" and then clicking on "Display plot styles."

Is there a streamlined way to do this besides clicking on each Layout individually, right-clicking, page setup manager, etc?

Page set-ups can be imported and applied (not saved) to layouts with publisher. If this is not for printing, there are LISP routines available for assigning page set-ups to layouts in a batch format. I might be able to track one down for you.

WHY can't I change multiple Layouts through the Page Setup Manager? Each time I'm there, it only lets me click Modify for the layout page I'm currently looking at... I need to click out, switch Layouts, and then go back to the Layout Manager each time... Any tips???

You can with a little planning. The trick is to assign the same named page set-up to each layout. Any changes made to that page set-up will affect all layouts using that page set-up. Hint: Regularly used page set-ups can be saved in a template or drawing for importing.

Rob Draw-

To Part 1 of your answer:

The problem is that all these different pages have different sizes from different people. The only 2 factors I want to change is the Plotter option and the "display plot styles" option, while still maintaining the file's original page sizes.

(For example- in 1 DWG I'll have 4 different Layouts, each set to Plotter: Epson blah blah..., 2 as A0 and 1 as A1 and 1 as A2. With one fell swoop, I want to simultaneously switch all the Plotters to "DWG to PDF" option while MAINTAINING the original size of the sheets and also "Display plot styles" tab should be clicked.)

To Part 2:

I'm intrigued about these "named plot styles"

I know how to import a Layout from another file (right-click, New Layout From Template, choose the file...)... Is this a different technique?

As I asked in Part 1, is there such a thing where there's a "named plot style" that will ONLY change the plotter + display plot styles option while leaving every other thing as-is?

Rob Draw-

The problem is that all these different pages have different sizes from different people. The only 2 factors I want to change is the Plotter option and the "display plot styles" option, while still maintaining the file's original page sizes.

You are asking about two different things here. "display plot styles" is not a part of the page set-up. As to the other part, that would have to be done with code. I think I have something written by someone else that might work. I'll have a poke around my tool box.

I'm intrigued about these "named plot styles"

I know how to import a Layout from another file (right-click, New Layout From Template, choose the file...)... Is this a different technique?

Yes it is. Explore the page set-up manager for creating and importing page set-ups. It's quite obvious and simple.

Rob Draw-

Thank you, I'd appreciate any code you can dig up. And also a referral to a site to show me what to do with said code.

"Display plot styles" might be different than changing the Plotter Name, but both changes happen through the Page Setup Manager, so I thought there'd be a way to synthesize both changes into one script/macro/"named layout" or whatever. Thank you!

I was wrong about the "display plot styles", I thought you were referring to display lineweights which is different. Sorry about that.

I will have a look around to see if I can find what you are looking for. I can't get to it right now, I am setting up a project and am a bit behind.

• 1 month later...

RobDraw- I'm so sorry, I never saw your responses!

I went to the thread you indicated and I copied the LISP code (still pretty new for me).

Since the old pc3 files vary from place to place, i wrote in *.pc3, is that correct?

I then tried it on a directory but it didn't work :(

To refresh you-

I want to batch-convert the pc3 from whatever it originally is --> DWG to PDF, + retain whatever the original drawing size is, + check "Display plot styles" in the Page Setup Manager.

I'm attaching the LISP I made... any ideas? Thank you!!

ChangePC3toPDF.lsp

It looks like it should work as long as that is the exact name of the PC3 file. Sorry, I really can't help you anymore with this. I used it back then to change active projects and have not had to use it since. I do not remember having to do anything special in order to get it to work. I suggest you respond to that post and ask for help there.

Is there a chance that DWG to PDF.pc3 is not the real file name? How does the LISP know where to look to find the pc3?

Oddly when I try to find the pc3 file I can't... the filepath says C: --> ProgramData, but it doesn't show on the file explorer when I try to navigate there manually. weird.\

I will jump in if your layouts have different title blocks for the size then its easy you can auto plot all of them or just a few, just using some of the plot all lisps but you will need a check for title block to be added. I know of a particular situation where the sheets are all A1 but have two different title blocks as one is a state authority title block and must be used versus the normal company one. Sbeth85 is this the case.

Going back to 1st post if you look at this http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?69132-Printing-LISP-Help...&highlight=Printing-LISP all you have to change the two corner points and it will work for a different consultants title block. Even have 1 program and pick which title block and so set cnr pts.

BIGAL- I have to admit I'm a little confused...

None of my issues involve title blocks...

I have DWG files coming in with many many Layout tabs, and all the Layout tabs are set to the wrong PC3. I want to find a LISP that will automatically change all the Layouts to plot to PDF.

In some cases all the Layouts are a consistent size, and in others the Layouts range from A2-A0.

While I'm at it I also want to check the "Display plot-styles" option in the Page Manager.

To stop all the guessing post a dwg dont need any content just leave layouts alone.

Have a go at this code with a few layouts then look for "configname" this is current printer change your layout plot setting to a different printer and run again this variable can be changed via lisp.

(setq doc (vla-get-activedocument (vlax-get-acad-object)))
(vlax-for lay (vla-get-Layouts doc)
(vlax-Dump-Object lay)
)