Creating Scale-able Symbols for Electrical Construction Documents

lkenshalo

I would like to create each of the symbols(shown below)and nest them into generic fixtures, receptacles, panels and switches to place in my projects so that I can have a construction documents with consistent symbols.. I've used symbolic lines to show the symbols that don't need to scale, a 2x4 troffer light for example, but I have no clue how to add scale-able symbols and have them come into my projects at the correct size depending on the view scale. I've searched this forum and others and haven't found any clear explanation on how to go about this.

Can anyone explain in the simplest terms possible how one might go about this?

My company uses two scales 95% of the time - 1/4"=1' and 1/8"=1'

I'v attached an image of our symbol for a recessed down-light and the size it should appear at 1/8"=1' scale. I'd like to nest it in the RFA I've attached and have it show correctly at 1/8"=1' and scale down if placed on a sheet at 1/4"=1'.

Please Help! :unsure:

Leon

SYMBOL_LEGEND.jpg

DOWNLIGHT_SYMBOL.jpg

DOWNLIGHT_EXAMPLE.rfa

Use Generic Annotations Families. Technically they are suppose to have text but don't use text at all, just draw 2D linework in them at a 1:1 scale for a sheet of paper. Then you nest this into your Electrical Family, Lighting Fixture Family or whatever Family it calls for. In Plan View, use the Visibility Settings to only show the nested Generic Annotation Family, hiding the 3D models completely so all you see is a "2D schematic symbol" that will also scale.

For non-scaling items, I usually just create 2D symbolic lines and constrain them to whatever reference plane or object it needs to, and hide the 3D models completely using Visibility Settings as well. Some times a 3D representation of a light is just too "busy" with unnecessary linework, and all that's needed is a simple rectangle, or circle, which can easily be handled with use of good Family prepping.

There are plenty of stock content to reverse engineer, also. Check those out and see how Autodesk did it, and fit it to your own.

Hope this helps. :)

*EDIT* just saw your post over at RFO... so yeah same things are said over there. :)

Thanks TZ - I really appreciate the clear explanation. I'm using GA's now and they are working fine, not sure how I missed that.

However I'm adding a label and having some issues - I'll post when I understand a bit better what I'm doing wrong.

For now I've attached a copy of the light fixture annotation I've added to the fixture that scale correctly. If anyone has any questions on how I got this working please post and I'll be happy to explain in detail.

DOWNLIGHT.rfa

Use Labels in the Host Family, not the Nested Family. Or you can just use Tags instead... six one way half dozen another type of scenario.

My host family, I assume you mean the light, won't let me add labels and if I add text it doesn't show in my plan.

I somehow just got it to work tho I have no idea how because I didn't do anything differently than I've been doing for the last hour or two...

I added the label to the generic annotation, set a shared parameter for 'type' and it worked when inserted into the family and then into the project.

Tags and Shared Parameters must me identical. Type is a gimmie from Revit... its a "default" that is hard coded into all Families so that's why it's working now probably.