File Naming/Management

RobDraw

It has been determined that our file naming convention was outdated. An example file name used to be M-FL01-PIPE or E-FL02-POWR-SLVS. I liked it. Found it simple and straight forward as long as you know most of the descriptors. We are now replacing the trade letter (first character in the string) with the sheet number. This was done so that non-regular AutoCAD users could easily find the file for printing. The sheet numbering convention is determined by what the architect is using so it varies from project to project.

On the surface this seems to be not so bad, but it has it's own set of problems which affect the regular users, i.e. having to manually rename multiple files when changing sheet numbers. Most of the CAD committee do not have a problem with this and don't see a problem with having to manually repath XREFs as a result. I have a huge problem with this. For one, I am not perfect and almost always have to change sheet numbers as I am setting up a project. Never mind the changes that can happen as a project progresses. I think that many people are going to not change file names for sheet number changes because of all the extra steps involved. Management does not seem to be concerned about the wasted time this is creating because we all have to do things that in a way not agree with.

I am looking for anything that will automate this process. I thought SSM could handle this but one of the first things mentioned in Autodesk's guidelines is to eliminate multiple layouts in the .dwgs. Almost every project file has multiple layout tabs so that rules out SSM, maybe. Our CAD manager says that 90% of consulting companies use the sheet number in their file names.

Can some of you share your workflow and file management experiences and possible automated management systems with this type file naming system?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RobDraw

• Dana W

• tzframpton

• a_67vdub

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As for you're naming convention, I would strongly recommend not using the sheet names in the title. Re-pathing X-Refs would be a complete pain and time waster, and when having multiple X-Refs with similar names mistakes could be made. Have you considered looking into custom properties within the DWG file properties for advanced searches and what not to find the files to be printed? Rather than updating the file name it would just be a property, relieving you of the issues with X-Refs. Not only this but there may be some way of automating that information into the properties.

We use a file management system called M-Files. Its very intuitive, easy to use and has a fantastic customization and functionality. If we so chose to, we could likely pull out alot of the information you are looking for and insert it into the meta data of the file for quick and easy searches/views.

Two options:

1. Continue with the current/old naming system for dwg files although when printing pdfs that other non CAD staff may access put the sheet number(s) in the PDF title.

2. Don't use xrefs. Or if you use them, rename the xrefs to their final sheets after most of the work is done.

Personally I'd go option 1.

Okay, okay, you guys are preaching to the choir. Do you think I have control over this new standard and I am creating all this trouble myself? I guess I didn't make it clear. I have to deal with this. It is not my decision to make. I am looking for solutions to deal with this new standard.

Mike, I will look into M-Files.

I'd really like to hear from anyone representing the 90% that my CAD manager says are using a similar system and how they deal with changes to sheet numbers.

I thought SSM could handle this but one of the first things mentioned in Autodesk's guidelines is to eliminate multiple layouts in the .dwgs. Almost every project file has multiple layout tabs so that rules out SSM, maybe. Our CAD manager says that 90% of consulting companies use the sheet number in their file names.

I am not sure what this is referring to. I can't find a reference to it in 2015. I don't think it is telling you to eliminate multiple tabs, is it. That'd be pointless.

Is it saying to get rid of multiple "Saved Page Layouts"?

For sheet number, are you referring to Section number, like A00.0(arch), S00.0(struct), E00.0(elec), M00.0(mech)?

I have recently experienced an attempt to copy and add to the Architect/Engineer numbering system by a sub I do work for, but it was only by demand of the primary client, and I have only seen it at the sub/consultant level that one time.

I am not sure what this is referring to. I can't find a reference to it in 2015. I don't think it is telling you to eliminate multiple tabs, is it. That'd be pointless.

Is it saying to get rid of multiple "Saved Page Layouts"?

I was looking into the workings of SSM and as I look back now I was looking at old documentation so it was outdated info. I'm going to have to revisit SSM as a solution. Do you use it or know that it can be used as I am describing above?

I was looking into the workings of SSM and as I look back now I was looking at old documentation so it was outdated info. I'm going to have to revisit SSM as a solution. Do you use it or know that it can be used as I am describing above?
I am actually attempting to re-learn how to use it. It came with my trial version of 2015. It appears to have a huge category, sub set, and renaming capability. It is also capable of page layout overrides. It may work for you, but I can't give you much information yet.

For sheet number, are you referring to Section number, like A00.0(arch), S00.0(struct), E00.0(elec), M00.0(mech)?

Just to eliminate any confusion. This is the sheet number.

Sheet Number.jpg

I am actually attempting to re-learn how to use it. It came with my trial version of 2015. It appears to have a huge category, sub set, and renaming capability. It is also capable of page layout overrides. It may work for you, but I can't give you much information yet.

No 2015 ATM, I could get it if there is something new that warrants it.

No 2015 ATM, I could get it if there is something new that warrants it.
Doesn't 2014 have it? I will take a look to see if anything new has been added to the sheet set mgr in 2015.

Of course the SSM will not change the actual sheet numbers or titles on the layout tabs in the dwg files, it only changes the names of the sheets in the output lists. If they are pdf's this will help one look up a sheet from within either the pdf or the SSM, but nothing for looking in the dwg. The sheet numbers will be different on the printed page.

This may not work for you at that.

On top of that, I better go refresh my one remaning memory synaps :lol: before going any further.

Doesn't 2014 have it? I will take a look to see if anything new has been added to the sheet set mgr in 2015.

Of course the SSM will not change the actual sheet numbers or titles on the layout tabs in the dwg files, it only changes the names of the sheets in the output lists. If they are pdf's this will help one look up a sheet from within either the pdf or the SSM, but nothing for looking in the dwg.

I have to look at the capabilities of 2014 SSM. It's on the list for today.

I was already making the layout tab changes manually so that is not a big deal but will try to find something to automate that. Fields, maybe? I know you can put one on the sheet that changes when you change the tab but can it go the other way?

I have to look at the capabilities of 2014 SSM. It's on the list for today.

I know you can put one on the sheet that changes when you change the tab...

You can?:shock: That's cool.

See, you're showing me more than I am showing you. I am not sure I am helping much.

So far, I have found out you can change the drawing name, as well as the sheet names within the sheet set to anything you want, but I am still not sure how that helps since they will not be directly related to the drawings. However, the use of fields as above may get you somewhat to what you want, especially if you are manually matching the layout tab names.

You know that after modifying a dwg file, then opening and saving a sheet set related to it updates changes to the layouts in the sheet set, right?

You can?:shock: That's cool.

I'm pretty sure that could be done before fields with RText but have not actually used it so I can't say for sure.

You know that after modifying a dwg file, then opening and saving a sheet set related to it updates changes to the layouts in the sheet set, right?

I kind of did but I actually want to work in the opposite direction.

SSM takes a long while to get used to and get set up properly. Even then it has its limitations. If you rename the sheet it does not rename the file in Windows Explorer, unless Autodesk changed that feature in recent releases. It's easy to break things that are integral to the way the SSM is suppose to help, such as Templates, Plotting Overrides, Views and View Naming, Referencing, etc. Also, the DST file can have complications when multiple users are accessing it.

But once you have it set up and everyone else using it knows what they are doing, things can go pretty smoothly.

If you rename the sheet it does not rename the file in Windows Explorer, unless Autodesk changed that feature in recent releases.

I did not see that on the overview. That's a game killer as it is my main concern. Everything else you mention is nothing new to me outside of SSM.

Someone recommended a couple of apps designed for AutoCAD that can be used to make all the changes I need to make from a central location without opening the .dwgs. I need to explore these some more.

http://apps.exchange.autodesk.com/ACD/en/Detail/Index?id=appstore.exchange.autodesk.com%3abatch-in-database%3aen

http://apps.exchange.autodesk.com/ACD/en/Detail/Index?id=appstore.exchange.autodesk.com%3abatch-in-editorv10%3aen

Has anyone used these?

I still want to hear from that 90% that supposedly use a file naming convention that utilizes actual sheet numbers or names.

we use sheet numbers as part of our naming convention!

A typical file name/document number would be HSM12345-00-WD-0001-01 where HSM12345 is the project code, 00 is a sub set, WD is the drawing type (wiring diagram), 0001 is the sequence number and 01 is the sheet number.

This works very well for the sort of drawings we produce.

Are your sheet numbers static? I work in an environment where they could change on the whim of an architect.

I was a bit more specific in my first post as to the environment I work in. I do appreciate you responding but was hoping to hear from people who have a need to change sheet numbers, file names, and the associated XREFs on a large scale.

you are correct, our sheet numbers are static. There might be the very occasional need to insert a sheet between numbers 8 & 9 but we can hadle that when it happens.

I have been watching and knew your system was considerably different, my reply was slightly tongue in cheek.