It's a subjective matter, but most people have grown away from WIPEOUTs due to known complications. Here is some good material to read up on:

Thread #1: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?61218-Odd-Some-objects-hidden-by-wipeout-show-up-in-print&

Thread #2: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?82035-Making-blocks-opaque-so-what-s-behind-it-cannot-be-seen./page2

It has been discussed countless times on this forum so read up, and choose the best fit for you. :)

-Tannar

Irregular shape viewports work.

Actually this is kind of funny you mention this. As i have been having duscussions with my new cad manager and he thinks some of this companies plotting issues are the irregular shaped viewports. And i feel the wipeouts are the jerks causing the issues.

I haven't had any plotting issues in the past using the poly VP's.

Autocad is such a fickle friend at times. HaHa

It's a subjective matter, but most people have grown away from WIPEOUTs due to known complications. Here is some good material to read up on:

Thread #1: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?61218-Odd-Some-objects-hidden-by-wipeout-show-up-in-print&

Thread #2: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?82035-Making-blocks-opaque-so-what-s-behind-it-cannot-be-seen./page2

It has been discussed countless times on this forum so read up, and choose the best fit for you. :)

-Tannar

I will definitely have a good look though these.

I haven't had any plotting issues in the past using the poly VP's.
Neither have I, but I have had wipeouts do everything from turn solid black to having the frames on when they should be off and off when they should be on. Haven't used wipeouts since I discovered xclip, poly viewports, and viewport clipping.

Although at the moment, in my 2015 trial version, I am having trouble getting a clipped viewport frame to not plot even though it is on a no-plot layer with the original viewport. Must be Karma. :lol: d'ya know there are 11 different FRAME sys variables now?:shock:

Arggh! figured it out but AutoCad didn't help. It was OE.

I had done the vpclip with a plotting layer (dims) current, so of course the vpclip frame went on the dims layer. Phooie. The properties list showed me that the clip frame was a viewport and that it was on the viewports layer, neither of which is true. For some reason the properties show as the original viewport when I select the vpclip frame. My, but that is not convenient.

Anyway, I moved the vpclip frame to the viewports layer and it went away in the plot preview.

Edited by Dana W

If you use wipeouts, in order to stop them from printing as solid black you have to print as monochrome instead of black and white.

Does any one else have issues with these things?

Yes.

What is everyone's preferred method of masking?

Don't use wipeouts.

Use either a background mask on mtext or for other items, use a solid colour hatch (in a colour setup in your plot file to print white or whatever colour the paper you print on is) or use viewports and good layer management.

I've never had any problem with clipped viewports either.

Although at the moment, in my 2015 trial version, I am having trouble getting a clipped viewport frame to not plot even though it is on a no-plot layer with the original viewport. Must be Karma. :lol: d'ya know there are 11 different FRAME sys variables now?:shock:

Arggh! figured it out but AutoCad didn't help. It was OE.

I had done the vpclip with a plotting layer (dims) current, so of course the vpclip frame went on the dims layer. Phooie. The properties list showed me that the clip frame was a viewport and that it was on the viewports layer, neither of which is true. For some reason the properties show as the original viewport when I select the vpclip frame. My, but that is not convenient.

Anyway, I moved the vpclip frame to the viewports layer and it went away in the plot preview.

I always have this problem and it is has been around in AutoCad for at least several years. The key is to do a crossing window over the viewport border and then in the properties pane, in the drop down list at the top you click it and it won't say 1 viewport anymore although will then say 2 items or 1 viewport and 1 polyline (that you clipped the viewport with) etc.

If you use wipeouts, in order to stop them from printing as solid black you have to print as monochrome instead of black and white.

This really isn't necessary. I've not plotted them countless times without using monochrome. This is more of a plotter driver issue than an AutoCAD setting. Sorry...

I always have this problem and it is has been around in AutoCad for at least several years. The key is to do a crossing window over the viewport border and then in the properties pane, in the drop down list at the top you click it and it won't say 1 viewport anymore although will then say 2 items or 1 viewport and 1 polyline (that you clipped the viewport with) etc.
yeah, after further investigation I found that apparently the viewport shrinks to fit the polyline clip frame and they're stacked on top of each other, so selecting just one will get the last drawn item only. I don't know if i'd call it a problem, simply unexpected. Serendipity-ish, because if I had not had the wrong layer current, I'd have not even questioned it.

This really isn't necessary. I've not plotted them countless times without using monochrome. This is more of a plotter driver issue than an AutoCAD setting. Sorry...

Actually, yes it is (in some cases). This was a huge problem at my last job and this was the solution to it. Everyone in CAD was printing PDF's in monochrome and we had no problems with wipeouts (and used them all the time). Everyone else was set to print black and white and they only got solid black objects in place of the wipeouts.

Don't be sorry. It's not your fault that this solution works perfectly for me.

Actually, yes it is (in some cases). This was a huge problem at my last job and this was the solution to it. Everyone in CAD was printing PDF's in monochrome and we had no problems with wipeouts (and used them all the time). Everyone else was set to print black and white and they only got solid black objects in place of the wipeouts.

Don't be sorry. It's not your fault that this solution works perfectly for me.

My point is that it is not the ONLY solution. You do not "have" to use monochrome, as you stated.