How to generate a "midpoint" line between two other lines?

WindowsIHateYou

Is there a way to generate a "midpoint" line between two other lines?

Acad 2008, drawing has no vertical. Lines are irregular, not perfectly straight.

Essentially, I am trying to generate a Centerline between two irregular edges of pavement. I don't mind solutions that require fine-tuning, or jagged lines that need to be smoothed/curved out. I'm just looking for the solution that saves me the most time.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WindowsIHateYou

• rkmcswain

• SLW210

• Dana W

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You could go to Jeffrey P Sanders web site, and try the Rolling Ball lisp.

It would seem to do what you want.

Rolling_ball Thanks to Guenther Bittner, the program is complete. Find the mid-boundary between two polylines. Version 4+ now available.

1. Draw a line connecting the ends of each line together.

2. Draw a line from the mid point of each of these connecting lines

Have you looked into the m2p option?

That one is new to me. Not what I am looking for on this specific task, but will be very helpful for other things. Thanks

I couldn't find the download anywhere, or even the "get the code" section where they said the download would be. ;/ Odd...

You could go to Jeffrey P Sanders web site, and try the Rolling Ball lisp.

Wow. Who cares about work? I could just stare at that command be performed for hours on end. It looks like this fits my needs. Thanks

P.S., for anybody else who tries it, the command to start the lisp is "rollin". It wasn't obvious for non-coders, and my fingers kept typing rollinG for half an hour until I figured it out.

1. Draw a line connecting the ends of each line together.

2. Draw a line from the mid point of each of these connecting lines

To clarify, the lines have multiple segments. If they were single segment lines, this would work though.

I couldn't find the download anywhere, or even the "get the code" section where they said the download would be. ;/ Odd...
Try the following steps, noting that I am zoomed in on the pages a bit and that I'm actually showing portions of 2 pages here:

Contours Step 2.jpg

Contours Step 3.jpg

LOL, thanks. Mouseover did nothing on that button so I thought it wasn't a button, and was just a poor label for the "Print" icon next to it.

Well I couldn't figure out the variables on "rollin" to get it smooth through a curve. I did manage to figure out the "contours" variables.

blue= orig

red= contours

yellow= rollin

cc.jpg

I frequently want to move an item or draw a line halfway between two points and formerly would draw a construction line, pick the midpoint, and then erase the line afterwards. There is an object snap that is not on the selection list called m2p that directly selects a point midway between two other points. I created my own icon that works as an object snap and use it many times throughout the day.This is the easiest way to find a midpoint between two points. Or You can simply choose it from snap tools. You can hold [shift] then press right button mouse then choose it from the list . I always refer video-tutorials.net , Because it is best institution for Cad Software Design and Solution, If you have any problem in autocad Design , then you can contact with this company : info@video-tutorials.net.

Hope this information help for you

Thanks dear.

• 2 months later...

I'm on a new computer, so I went to download the lisp again, and the Cadalyst site hates me and gives me a "403 Forbidden" when I try to download the tip. I found it elsewhere, but I'm wondering if anybody else is getting the 403.

Edited by WindowsIHateYou

Do you have to be a "member" to download? I didn't sign up, and it doesn't work for me either.

I wasn't before, but I became a member to try. It still didn't work. so I've tried 2 desktops and a mobile, and I still get the same error.

I wasn't before, but I became a member to try. It still didn't work. so I've tried 2 desktops and a mobile, and I still get the same error.
OK, here's another wild guess. Try a different browser. I'm using Chrome.