New to the forum... not new to AutoCad

srzdesigns

I am a self taught interior designer using AutoCad 2014 Architectural edition. Self taught in the past 6 months might I add. I already see the value in upgrading my current computer which is 5 years old. Looking around for the best resources on a CAD workstation is like finding a needle in a haystack IMHO. I posted to a few forums and have narrowed down my new computer build to the following two options for the main build out and a few options for the Video card. Your input would be appreciated and implemented (I promise to share the pictures :D)

Initially I would be doing 2D modeling, and I want to venture into 3D soon thats why I am future proofing the build.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($309.99 @ NCIX US)

CPU Cooler: Corsair H75 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($78.43 @ NCIX US)

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z87 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($157.99 @ Newegg)

Memory: PNY XLR8 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($139.00 @ Amazon)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($139.99 @ Best Buy)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($83.97 @ OutletPC)

Case: Thermaltake Urban R31 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Newegg)

Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ OutletPC)

Other: NVIDIA® Quadro® K4000 VCQK4000-PB 3GB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Workstation Video Card ($759.00)

Total: $1780.33

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-25 14:23 EDT-0400)

OR

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2609 V2 2.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($301.98 @ SuperBiiz)

CPU Cooler: Corsair H75 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($78.43 @ NCIX US)

Motherboard: Asus P9X79 LE ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($224.99 @ NCIX US)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($165.98 @ Newegg)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($139.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($83.97 @ OutletPC)

Case: Thermaltake Urban R31 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Newegg)

Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ OutletPC)

Other: NVIDIA® Quadro® K4000 VCQK4000-PB 3GB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Workstation Video Card ($759.00)

Total: $1866.30

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-25 14:24 EDT-0400)

The main differences between the two are the processor should I go with Xeon or is an i7 just as good?

Now for the video card tidbit...

Many people have suggested getting a used Quadro 4000 off eBay or the similar sources, I am a little weary of the end results from a used workstation card. So what's your take everyone?

Video card options: I am open to suggestions

NVIDIA® Quadro® K4000 VCQK4000-PB 3GB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16

NVIDIA® Quadro® K2000D VCQK2000D-PB 2GB GDDR5 PCI

Your thoughts on a video card would be appreciated its the hardest thing for me to decide on.

Go with i7, I have the Corsair Vengeance 1600 memory and love it. No problems.

Use the 2400mhz memory in the i7. The speed and cores of the i7 will serve you better.

I also have an ASUS mother board. Read up on the differences and get the better of the 2.

You can play with processor over clocking and memory over clocking and still be stable and safe.

Video, I have used an 660ti and a K4000 and I feel the K4000 is better.

Good Luck with the build.

Go with i7, I have the Corsair Vengeance 1600 memory and love it. No problems.

Use the 2400mhz memory in the i7. The speed and cores of the i7 will serve you better.

I also have an ASUS mother board. Read up on the differences and get the better of the 2.

You can play with processor over clocking and memory over clocking and still be stable and safe.

Video, I have used an 660ti and a K4000 and I feel the K4000 is better.

Good Luck with the build.

Thanks for your input. I am leaning toward the i7, do you do more 2D or 3D with the k4000?

Here is a benchmark test from 2013 comparing different video cards for AutoCAD. link

Basically a $350 nVidia GF GTX 680 was better in AutoCAD than a $1,000+ nVidia Quadro K5000. Sure the upper high in Quadros are nice but at that price do you really get your moneys worth. Now this is for AutoCAD which you stated that you use. Other applications test differently.

As for the Xeons, again I feel that this is over kill for AutoCAD. I am moving from Xeon based machines at work to Core i7 based units. I think in just like the video cards, the cpus with the fast speed will be better in AutoCAD.

Personally I would look into the i7-4820k with an X79 Motherboard. The 4820k, is better than the 4770k in almsot every aspect, higher clock speeds, larger L3 cache and more DDR3 channels (4 compared to 2). It is also very slight chaper (by about $10).

Also if you go with a Z87 Mobo (which only has 16 PCIE slots) and decide to go with dual GPU's (in SLI configuration) at anytime in the future you won't be utilizing the full capabilities of the cards.

As mentioed above, many of the consumer gaming cards preform as well, or better in some cases, than the Quadro Series. This Card out preforms the K4000 in almost every aspect and it is less than half the price for example.

Mike_Taylor: I am seeing a very small selections (24-30) motherboard options, is there one that you suggest I look into. Most of them are having mixed reviews.

Here is the one I have on my computer at home. The BIOS GUI is absolutely incredible on it, super easy to use and navigate. It has all the features you would expect in a high end motherboard.

We have this one installed on several machines and we are not having any issue what so ever with it.

Both are more expensive than what you had initially spec'd, but with 8 RAM slots and the ability to support up to 64 GB of RAM there is a lot more potential room for upgrading (IE going with 8 4 GB sticks to double your current spec for only $50 more).

Just as a ball park, if you go with the EVGA Nvidia GTX 760 Dual classified I had suggested, the 4820K and the X79 you can double the amount of memory for $50 less total (roughly).

Here is the one I have on my computer at home. The BIOS GUI is absolutely incredible on it, super easy to use and navigate. It has all the features you would expect in a high end motherboard.

We have this one installed on several machines and we are not having any issue what so ever with it.

Both are more expensive than what you had initially spec'd, but with 8 RAM slots and the ability to support up to 64 GB of RAM there is a lot more potential room for upgrading (IE going with 8 4 GB sticks to double your current spec for only $50 more).

Just as a ball park, if you go with the EVGA Nvidia GTX 760 Dual classified I had suggested, the 4820K and the X79 you can double the amount of memory for $50 less total (roughly).

So here is an updated build using your specs, where am I supposed to get the price to come down with your suggestions:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4820K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor ($323.95 @ OutletPC)

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.98 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: Asus P9X79 WS SSI CEB LGA2011 Motherboard ($370.00 @ Newegg)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($325.98 @ Newegg)

Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($196.98 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Dual Superclocked ACX Video Card ($329.99 @ Amazon)

Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Blue ATX Full Tower Case ($119.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum 860W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($178.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $2029.83

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-27 15:28 EDT-0400)

Thanks for your input. I am leaning toward the i7, do you do more 2D or 3D with the k4000?

Right now I am 90% 2D and 10% 3D.

Also, as someone mentions that 4 memory channels are better than 2. I think 32gb of ram is plenty until you get into heavy 3D rendering.

AutoCAD wants speed and will only use 1/2 cores so others are free for other apps running in background. This is why a Xeon is overkill.

It is multi threaded in 2D regeneration and MentalRay rendering. But this helps explain why you'll see better results with the faster clock speed cpus of the Core i5 and i7 as opposed to the slower clocked Xeons. Unless you are using another application that can benefit from it or rendering a fast Core i5 is the best bang for the buck cpu for AutoCAD. Now that is not to say that getting an i7 is bad. ;)

link

You guys have been awesome and vital in my decision making, I will update this thread in th next day to detail which direction I am going.

Thanks!