Attributes

I'm not sure if all of them should be visible. They certainly don't appear to mimic the blocks that come with AutoCAD Electrical.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• cadmando2

• RobDraw

• dbroada

First point is that the insertion point is way off as others have mentioned. The attributes are set as "invisible" on the first one I looked at.

And the second one produced the "THIS WAS PRODUCED IN AN EDUCATIONAL VERSION" message. I'm not looking any firther.

I just downloaded a sample block from Allen & Bradley and it behaves in somewhat the same fashion meaning that when it is inserted it comes in down and to the right of the insertion point. You'd think someone at A&B would have caught that newbie mistake. However, unlike the OP's version of their block at least three of the attributes are visible: Label, Part No., and Description. If one changes the Layer property using the Enhanced Attribute Editor all subsequent insertions of the block will reflect the change.

The company I work for just started the new electrical controls department. I download Allen & Bradley parts as I go. But the blocks that are missed up where from a company that was doing are electrical and control drawings.

I never used AutoCAD electrical tell now, and it is a little different from 2004 CAD that I have been using. It used to be when get new CAD software there would be a 2-3 day tutorial on new software upgrades.

I didn't get that opportunity and learning as I go. but when things happen and you are the only CAD operator, then it is up to me and this web site to figure it out.

Never had attribute issue like this before and needed another CAD person point of view to see if I was over looking something.

still redefining Electrical/controls cad standards and get work done. I didn't get the time to do that at first. need to clone myself so I can get work done.

I did try using Attsync and it worked, but still two sets of attributes.

just trying to cut some time by using blocks from drawing from the company who was doing our getting work for us,, but created more work. I should of know better and next time I will just download it or created it my self.

That was my fault, I tried looking at the block at home on my student version of AutoCAD electrical. Just trying to do what I can under the time frame that I have.

every one wants the work done yesterday. but now I have little time to figure this out. and give me a change to figure this crap out. I have always used 0,0 to create blocks and attribute where I wanted them.

I don't realize that the attributes where placed wrong in the block tell after I zoom extents.

just deleted the problem and inserted my own. problem fixed.

can anyone give me any tips on the electrical/controls layout!

Thanks all

Edited by cadmando2

Did you download the block I re-created for you?

If you don't know how to use AutoCAD Electrical then you should stop what you are doing immediately. There are ways to move and edit components in ACADE that are unlike what you would normally use in plain AutoCAD. If you use the wrong commands then you risk messing up the database that tracks all the wires, wire numbers, components, etc. that go into making up your drawing.

Did you see the link I posted regarding the book about AutoCAD Electrical by Ascent?

I never used AutoCAD electrical tell now, and it is a little different from 2004 CAD that I have been using. It used to be when get new CAD software there would be a 2-3 day tutorial on new software upgrades.
No, Electrical is VERY different from vanilla 2004. The reason a lot of those attributes were hidden was because ACADE uses them internally to keep its database up to date. Pretending that you do things the same as in vanilla will cause you lots of problems in the long run.

I had a one week course when we first investigated ACADE and was reasonably proficient at the end. I haven't used it now for just over a year and would say I would need another course to stand any chance of using it correctly again.

In view of your need for speed, I would suggest turning off the electrical side and just draw how you have done in the past - that is what we do here. Then you might get some time to learn how to use it correctly.

That is what I am doing, just drafting the way I used to. I'll spend time at home training myself the AutoCAD electrical.

still doing things old school. some new stuff with Electrical. different from 2004 & 2008 AutoCAD.

trying to learn as I go. been using AutoCAD just before ver 9. and not using AutoCAD at all for the past 3 years scent I was going back to college learn different trade CNC and decided to change my major and finish in Mechanical/electrical drafting. So i am little rusty. trying to cut corners and using someone else blocks. that what I get for assuming blocks where good. we make mistake but don't have time and under the gun trying to get work done. Wish job gave re-fresher course in new AutoCAD electrical so I doing myself. Just learning electrical controls with new AutoCAD electrical. doing PLC panels, Consoles and the schematics for them, Fun stuff. Thanks all

While your intentions may be good your undoing could be that you are falling back on standard AutoCAD commands rather than using those that are unique to AutoCAD Electrical. This method may very well come back to haunt you later on in which case you may find yourself redrawing the very same schematic.

For example, you could use the AutoCAD Line command to draw wires, as long as they appear on the wire layer. This method however does not create wire loops, connection points, etc. To edit wires you shouldn't be using AutoCAD commands like Trim and Stretch but rather the unique commands Trim Wire and Stretch Wire commands. There are other instances where this type of situation will be encountered as well. Examples of unique AutoCAD Electrical commands would be Edit Component, Scoot, Move Component, Copy Component, and Delete Component.

I am one step ahead of you. I been playing with wiring commands and stretch, but not trim yet. Been using some of the symbols programs already. just need one weekend that I can focus on it without interruptions. It never fails that something get in the way of me getting that task done. Honey due list!!!! I say not more.

thanks again

• 2 months later...