Filling cavity in a shelled solid

jeff1975

I have a shelled solid that I want to fill the cavity for editing. What is the best way to go about this? Solid was created in Solidworks by our supplier and imported into Autocad as a Sat file. I enclosed the bottom and a hole on each side of the part.

TP holder.dwg

Sounds like a task better handled in Inventor.

Interesting. Using a much simpler 3D solid model I was able to create a solid in the size/shape of a void in plain AutoCAD. Not sure if I can do it with your model though.

Edited by ReMark

.... Solid was created in Solidworks by our supplier.

The SolidWorks user needs training - found a lot of errors and the part was not modeled with obvious symmetry about the origin (SolidWorks 101).

Quality Check.PNG

I think I may have done it...well almost. Just half of the 3D model. It was an interesting exercise despite the errors JDM found.

Fill-a-void_1.jpg

One half the model; then I sliced out a chunk just to make sure it was solid throughout.

I encompassed the TP holder in a cube, sliced through the two objects with a surface, eliminated the front halves of both, subtracted what remained of the TP holder from what remained of the cube then separated the two of them from each other. Or I used magic. Can't remember which it was now.

Edited by ReMark
correction