Bizarre problem with zoom extents

Feyd313

At my work we have templates for the three types of drawings that we do (mechanical, electrical, and P&ID). The templates are only for the layout sheets. They give us an already set-up border, the pages are set up for PDF 11x17 monochrome, etc.

Now this is where it gets weird. If I open one of these templates, and with a completely blank model space, if I zoom extents page (layout) 1, it centers just fine. I then go to page 2, zoom extents, and once again, just fine. But, when I go back to page 1 and zoom extents again, it shifts to the right. As if there was something I couldn't see somewhere on the left side of the screen.

It gets stranger! If I then go to page 2 and hit zoom extents, it shifts to the right as well. If I then go BACK to page 1 and zoom extents again, it shifts to the right a little bit more.

If I was to go back and forth between page 1 and page 2 each time hitting zoom extents, my pages will keep moving more and more to the right side of the screen.

When my coworkers open these templates, they don't have this issue, and they are also running AutoCAD 2014.

Any help would be great!!!

Do you have any toolbars off to the left? Are your toolbar positions locked? Is your AutoCad window maximized?

When zooming extents the entire display screen image, with the exception of the program's Windows window gets regenerated, AutoCad workspace elements first, then the drawing or paper layout area is drawn in to the available space remaining. Unlocked and/or floating auto-hide toolbars or pallets can wreak havoc with the regen when zooming extents. I read about this or a similar issue in a post about a month ago. Of course, at the moment the thread is eluding my search abilities.

Apparently the code in AutoCad has problems remembering exactly how big the tool bars and drawing frame are when regening in paperspace.

I don't have this issue happening in 2015, but in my 2009 version, I do see my previously ZE'd layouts shrinking by a bit from total extents to about 95% of the previous size when I go back to them from another layout. Not a big deal, unless you're a bit OCD, like me.

I have a layout that was driving me absolutely monkey snot crazy for a few minutes, about a month ago. Whenever I ZE'ed it, the dang thing would actually get really tiny, about 1/100th of the screen, way down in the right hand corner. Well, it was the first time I had had to put a very large radius dimension in paperspace. I haven't been using paperspace dimensioning until recently, and I have found a lot NOT to like about doing them. Anyway, what was causing the weird zoom was the center mark of that large radius, about 9 feet outside the paper.

Of course, I did the normal solution and selected all to find the boogie, but when I deselected everything inside the paper edge, the #$%^ grip would disappear. When I left to right selected for the grip nothing would light up. when I right to left selected in the area where the offending grip appeared, my radius dimension lit up too.:facepalm: Since I could not see what it was at that display scale, it took a couple more minutes before it finally dawned on me.:oops:

• 9 months later...
At my work we have templates for the three types of drawings that we do (mechanical, electrical, and P&ID). The templates are only for the layout sheets. They give us an already set-up border, the pages are set up for PDF 11x17 monochrome, etc.

Now this is where it gets weird. If I open one of these templates, and with a completely blank model space, if I zoom extents page (layout) 1, it centers just fine. I then go to page 2, zoom extents, and once again, just fine. But, when I go back to page 1 and zoom extents again, it shifts to the right. As if there was something I couldn't see somewhere on the left side of the screen.

It gets stranger! If I then go to page 2 and hit zoom extents, it shifts to the right as well. If I then go BACK to page 1 and zoom extents again, it shifts to the right a little bit more.

If I was to go back and forth between page 1 and page 2 each time hitting zoom extents, my pages will keep moving more and more to the right side of the screen.

When my coworkers open these templates, they don't have this issue, and they are also running AutoCAD 2014.

Any help would be great!!!

I have the same problem. If I had my printing standard on it. If it's on extent AutoCAD take the same printing area as the zoom extents. So each time I made a zoom extent if affect my printing standard.

I have a layout that was driving me absolutely monkey snot crazy for a few minutes, about a month ago. Whenever I ZE'ed it, the dang thing would actually get really tiny, about 1/100th of the screen, way down in the right hand corner. Well, it was the first time I had had to put a very large radius dimension in paperspace. I haven't been using paperspace dimensioning until recently, and I have found a lot NOT to like about doing them. Anyway, what was causing the weird zoom was the center mark of that large radius, about 9 feet outside the paper.

Of course, I did the normal solution and selected all to find the boogie, but when I deselected everything inside the paper edge, the #$%^ grip would disappear. When I left to right selected for the grip nothing would light up. when I right to left selected in the area where the offending grip appeared, my radius dimension lit up too.:facepalm: Since I could not see what it was at that display scale, it took a couple more minutes before it finally dawned on me.:oops:

Dana, I hope that your new gig is a good fit for you!

The next time you have such a problem, just use a DIMJOGGED Radial dimension, and then when you zoom extents, the actual center of a large arc or circle will be ignored by the Zoom command, like in

my screenshot. :beer:

next time try a jogged radial dimension.jpg

I'm sorry but that not resolved my problem. I notice with my search it's a block with a field as an attribut cause this problem. I hope it will help to correct this problem. Because I need field on my titleblock. The problem it's each time I switch from one layout to another. When i made a ZE all the drawing shift to the right. That's not about element hidding on the drawing. because if it was that. The extend will stay at the same place. That's not my case.

The easiest way to troubleshoot the problem would be for you to attach a copy of the drawing file (not an image) to your next post. Then we can take a look for ourselves.

Your titleblock and border appear to be larger than the paper size you have selected. Why?

You are aware that anything falling on or over the dashed lines will not be printed aren't you?

Your titleblock and border appear to be larger than the paper size you have selected. Why?

You are aware that anything falling on or over the dashed lines will not be printed aren't you?

First question: Because I didn't make my printing set-up. That does'nt affect the problem.

second question: No. I'm aware when I do a Zoom Extent in the current layout. First time it's OK. But switch to another layout and come back to the current layout. do another Zoom Extent. You will see the titleblock will move to the right.

• 4 weeks later...

I checked the Page Manager Setup and I see you had specified an A4 paper size (297x210). I checked the size of your title block and border. It measured 421.64x269.24. Why is that?

The size of the paper does'nt matter. I change already and the problem stay there. It's not about the page printing setup the problem.

I checked the Page Manager Setup and I see you had specified an A4 paper size (297x210). I checked the size of your title block and border. It measured 421.64x269.24. Why is that?

I try your method a lot of time without any result.

Can you give me a step by step to do it.

So I can try.

I go by my understanding of your post. Does'nt seem to get effect.

I'm sure I do something wrong.

Thank you for your help.