LTScale off by 20x?

WindowsIHateYou

I always draft is modelspace with LTScale set to 1. Recently I am getting drawings from a new source and everything LOOKS right, but the LTScale is set to 20. If I fix it, everything scales down and looks wrong. This is an issue because I am pasting large portions in from other drawings. So I either have to fix all the new stuff, or fix all the old stuff. Old and new are both using the same linetypes, but look different depending on which base file they are in (new or old) even at the same LTScale, and can only be fixed manually per line properties.

Is there another LTScale type setting in my new file I just haven't learned yet? Or something else?

Thanks

There are 3 variables which could be coming into play

LTSCALE which is your current global LT scale

PSLTSCALE which is specific to a particular Viewport (in Paper Space)

MSLTSCALE which is your Model Space LT scale

Or it could be that the MEASUREMENT setting is incorrect.

If you are working in Imperial it should be set to 0.

If you are working in Metric it should be set to 1.

Or perhaps the drawing units in the original drawing are different,

you could try the -dwgunits command to check that.

Easiest way is to post a drawing, and somebody can check it out for you.

Delete any proprietary information from the drawing.

ltscale.jpg

psltscale.jpg

msltscale.JPG

LTSCALE and MSLTSCALE and the Object LTSCALE (also known as the CELTSCALE System Variable) affect the visibility of objects in Modelspace. CELTSCALE stands for "Current Entity Linetype Scale" if I remember correctly. Here is my personal setup:

LTSCALE = 0.5 (

MSLTSCALE = 1

CELTSCALE = 1 (for all objects)

"CELTSCALE" is the same setting that is the "Linetype Scale" option in Properties when any object is selected. So selecting all objects will allow you to set all objects to a CELTSCALE of 1 (other than nested entities that are inaccessible, such as items in Blocks, etc). The only caveat is what the Annotation Scaling is set to in Modelspace. Set this to a scale size that will match the scale you'll be plotting to and then you'll have a consistent Linetype Scaling for all objects. The objects in the drawing you're copying from may have Linetype Scales overridden to each object (aka CELTSCALE).

Hope this helps!

*EDIT*

One tip: After you make any changes, type REGEN so the drawing regenerates the changes for you.

I was about to suggest the same as BigAl. Before I got here everybody was using the acad.lin linetypes so bringing their drawings into one using acadiso.lin required an LTSCALE of 18 to give a similar appearance. Pretty close to your 20.

As per BIGAL and droada's posts, those linetypes are controlled by the MEASUREMENT system variable setting, as detailed in the sysvdlg snip attached, which is why I suggested in my earlier post that you check that setting in the drawing which is giving you trouble.

measurement particular sysvdlg info.jpg

First of all check the system variable MEASUREMENT in that drawing from the new source.

Then change it. It only has the values 0 or 1.

Then go into Linetype dialogue box, and click on "load", and pick all the same linetypes that are in the drawing. A message comes up to say that they are already loaded, but say Yes to reload all of them.

Then in the drawing, you should be able to reset the LTscale back to 1.

No doubt that someone clever can write a lisp procedure to do all that with one click.

I did not know that. That will help on some drawings done by someone (no longer here) who refused to change ANY settings.

I was about to suggest the same as BigAl. Before I got here everybody was using the acad.lin linetypes so bringing their drawings into one using acadiso.lin required an LTSCALE of 18 to give a similar appearance. Pretty close to your 20.

Is the ratio not more like 25.4 (Imperial 1" = Metric 25.4mm) looking at the line pattern scales of the ACAD.LIN vs ACADISO.LIN.

Is the ratio not more like 25.4 (Imperial 1" = Metric 25.4mm) looking at the line pattern scales of the ACAD.LIN vs ACADISO.LIN.
Probably. I think I started with 25 and while the spacing may have then matched those in acadiso.lin I always thought they would look nicer slightly closer spaced and ended up using 18.

I started trying suggestions in order what what I guessed to be most likely.

First of all check the system variable MEASUREMENT in that drawing from the new source.

Then change it. It only has the values 0 or 1.

Then go into Linetype dialogue box, and click on "load", and pick all the same linetypes that are in the drawing. A message comes up to say that they are already loaded, but say Yes to reload all of them.

Then in the drawing, you should be able to reset the LTscale back to 1.

I checked "old" vs. "new" files and the MEASUREMENT setting was 0 in both.

WE HAVE A WINNER!:

I set MEASUREMENT to 0. I reloaded all linetypes. REGEN, then changed LTSCALE back to 1, and MEASUREMENT back to 0. Problem solved.

Thanks again. 10+ years and never had this issue before.

Awesome tip, glad you found the issue. Eldon has helped me on many occasions so it comes to no surprise that his tip was the saving grace.

-Tannar

:xArg. I had 1 linetype that was NOT in the new drawing so I copied a polyline with it across from old to new. The linetype now shows in the new drawing, BUT AT THE WRONG SCALE (~5x too small this time). I tried the same working solution from yesterday, and nothing changed and it stayed at the wrong scale.

Ideas please?

Is the linetype a standard AutoCAD linetype or is it a custom linetype? By copying it across, that would suggest to me that it is a custom linetype.

If it is a custom linetype, then you will have to get the definition file and alter it to suit or use an extra Linetype scale for those lines.