Line segments in a circle

stryder444

I'm not quite sure how to phrase this but how do you control how many line segments there are in a circle to make it look like a proper curve. At the moment I keep having to regenerate my drawing to make my circle look like a proper circle rather than just a many sided polygon.

Viewres is a system variable. The default setting is 100. The range is 1 to 20,000. Say "yes" to enable fast zooms when you run the command.

You may also want to set WHIPARC = 1

VIEWRES is a command not a system variable and is saved in each drawing and can be different per viewport. I have mine set in my ACADDOC.LSP

(command "VIEWRES" "Y""20000")

VIEWRES

See Also

Change Views

Sets the resolution for objects in the current viewport.

Summary

The model is regenerated.

VIEWRES controls the appearance of circles, arcs, splines, and arced polylines using short vectors. The greater the number of vectors, the smoother the appearance of the circle or arc. For example, if you create a very small circle and then zoom in, it might appear to be a polygon. Using VIEWRES to increase the zoom percentage and regenerate the drawing updates and smooths the circle's appearance.

Note: Increasing the zoom percentage in VIEWRES may increase the time it takes to regenerate the drawing.

When a paper space layout is made current for the first time and a default viewport is created in the layout, the viewing resolution for this initial viewport is the same as the viewing resolution for the Model tab viewport.

The VIEWRES setting is saved in the drawing. To change the default for new drawings, consider specifying the VIEWRES setting in the template files on which you base your new drawings.

The rest is up to what your computer and graphics card can handle.

I understand that the OPs quest has already been answered by setting the VIEWRES variable, but there is also one more setting that could come in handy.

I briefly mentioned it in the following post [HERE]

Whereas the VIEWRES is saved in a drawing, the WHIPARC variable is saved in the registry and by default is turned off

It isn't a fix-all to fixing "blocky" curves though - There is an issue that we ran across when this setting was turned on with ACAD 2013 and using XREFs. ARCs and CIRCLEs in XREFs would appear "brighter" or more vibrant compared to other objects on the same layer (color).

Its worth a try.

~Greg

Whiparc.jpg