problem converting closed surfaces to a solid?

pc30ty

hi,

i'm a newbie in autocad3D,a real beginner, plz help me for converting this object i've made intod a solid, it's my homework which have to be ready upto tomorrow!

when i use CONVTOSOLID the error is "cannot convert a open curve!"

plz answer me as simple as possible or if it's possible i wil appreciate if u can upload the ans for me.:oops:

3d file= 3d-2010.dwg

isometric original view=page31-shekl3.pdf

Sounds like you have a problem with your geometry. Did you check it?

Was the assignment supposed to be done using surfaces?

OK...I checked your drawing. If you use the SURFSCULPT command on the 3D model then take a closer look (use 3DOrbit) you'll see where you made your mistake. You introduce a void in the model that does not belong there. In other words, your geometry is wrong.

tnx 4 ur quick response ;) no i haven't checked! and I don't know how to do it?! there is no assignment,a have to give a 3d solid shape to teacher,just this,i'm afraid to say if it's possible for you plz check the uploaded file? :oops: :oops:

I told that I did check your drawing file. That's how I found the problem. I also told you the command to use so you could visualize the problem yourself. I even told you what I thought the problem was.

If there was no assignment then why did you refer to it as homework? That makes no sense.

Are you telling us that your teacher asked the students to create a 3D solid model but did not tell you how to do it?

ColorMyFace.jpg

The red arrows point to the four extra faces you created in your model. They do not belong there. Your geometry is wrong and will have to be corrected.

sorry dear ReMark , i did'nt see that ans,,tnx alot 4 ur foolow up; actually yes, our master said make an isometric and 3view plan of 2 objects! and if we want a 3d model for extra score! and somehow we were not been learned these at all! a actually made this 3d with a method I struggled for,in the cad tooolbars(first a whole box,then trim,then i used "taper faces" for atilt plans! 'coz of this poor method now i have those 4 faces! and actua;;y i don't know any other ways to correct them! :(

Your "master" has a strange way of teaching.

You could always start over but this time create a solid (using the PressPull command) and stay away from surfaces.

tnx dear, yes I know he has problems with teaching :D but how can i make those atilt faces with PressPull command?

I wasn't necessarily referring to the sloped faces. I was referring to a method for creating solids rather than surfaces from something other than a closed polyline profile. When a line is extruded you end up with a surface.

The other option is go back to your original method using surfaces and redo the model. Just pay attention to where you are making your picks so you do not end up with another void. If you do it correctly the CONVTOSOLID command or the SURFSCULPT command should give you the result you seek.

Try it.

Edited by ReMark

Let's see the other work you have done like the isometric and the three 2D views. Did you have to dimension them as well?

sorry dear, I had gone for a rest, I utterly appreciate your favor :) tnX alot,can i have the cad file? :oops: I haven't got enough time upto morning to redo all of it :(

Sorry but I cannot provide you with a copy of the DWG file. As a student you are responsible for all assignments. It would be considered cheating if you were to hand in an assignment done by anyone other than yourself. I know because I have been a student myself on more than one occasion.

Did you attempt to redo your 3D model? I told you I basically used your drawing so you already have 90% of the basis for a new model to begin with.

no problem dear, I 'm so grateful for Ur favor ReMark ;)

Show your gratitude by finishing the 3D solid model.

Recreate the lofted surfaces but pay very close attention to the area your void was created in the last time around. If your lines are in the wrong place you won't get the right results.

After you have created all your surfaces double check your model using the 3DORBIT command to orbit around the entire model while checking for the presence of a void or anything else that might look out of place. If everything looks good use the THICKEN command but specify a thickness no greater than 0.01. This will create separate solids in lieu of your separate surfaces. Now use the UNION command to join (union) all the separate solids into one solid. Done.

Come on. I KNOW you can do it. I have faith in you. You have already taught yourself how to create surfaces so you are more than halfway there. Don't let me down. I am counting on you to complete this assignment.

Edited by ReMark

3DSolidModelfromSurface.jpg

I have highlighted in different colors what I would say are the four critical surfaces to be created. Of the four the yellow one would be the most critical. I used the sloped vertical line in front and the top horizontal line to create that sloped triangular surface.

Surface to Solid in 3 steps.jpg

Here is the sequence to one method that you might try.

Surfaces - Separate Solids (Thicken) - Single Solid (Union)

I doubt your teacher would think of it.