Education
    CADTutor's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Senior Lecturer (Digital Design), Landscape Architect & Web Designer
    Discipline
    Education
    Using
    AutoCAD 2015

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

That's pretty much it - I think you've got it just create your own custom scales for metres and away you go! It's not intuitive and it's not very smart (of AutoCAD) but it works.
    Tip: Please do not PM or email me with CAD questions - use the forums, you'll get an answer sooner.
    AutoCAD Tutorials | How to add images to your posts | How to register successfully | Forum FAQ

Computer Details
    Tiger's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
    Computer:
    HP EliteBook 8570w
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7-3720QM 2.60GHz
    RAM:
    16GB
    Graphics:
    NVIDIA Quadro K2000M
    Monitor:
    HP
    Discipline
    Civil
    Tiger's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Education /support
    Discipline
    Civil
    Details
    Support/Education/Retail
    Using
    Civil 3D 2016

Quote Originally Posted by dan_m View Post
    - I kept looking at modelspace for a solution, but the real answer lay in paperspace. Modelspace remains unitless ALWAYS. You cannot tell modelspace anything
    - You can tell paperspace how much each of its millimeters or inches equals to in terms of drawing units
    Finally, to let the outside world know I'm drawing using meters you select "meters" for insertion scale ...
    This is pretty much the best condensed explanation I have seen - good job Dan, you got it
    MTJIGSTRING = BAZINGA

Computer Details
    steven-g's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Win 7
    Discipline
    Construction
    steven-g's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Draughtsman
    Discipline
    Construction
    Details
    I work in the estimating department of a large building contractor.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

Dan,

Thankyou, well done that puts it in simple clear terms. Very good description.

Using
    MEP 2017

I think I just changed my mind about wanting to switch to metric.
    Drafting is a breeze.

Using
    AutoCAD 2014

Hi dan_m

Good description.
    May be an idea to post your explanation in the Tutorials & Tips'n'Tricks section.

Using
    AutoCAD 2012

Quote Originally Posted by CADTutor View Post
    That's pretty much it - I think you've got it just create your own custom scales for metres and away you go! It's not intuitive and it's not very smart (of AutoCAD) but it works.
    Your last sentence got me thinking again. Some things that initially appear archaic sometimes turn out be very intuitive, a classic example of this is HP's RPN key input on their calculators, initially I was very skeptical (pffft..! reverse what? lol) but once I tried it I got hooked, and I am hooked to this day! Similarily I keep telling myself there must be good reason Autodesk choose
    the particular drafting implementation they did. I think one benefit of an infinite and unitless modelspace is that if you want to (like, really really want to) you can draw everything in one massive modelspace ... from the airport layout you're working on in the office to your kid's go-cart project. More importantly, you can make drawing units represent one thing in one area of modelspace and something completely different in another area. For example, you can draw the airport layout using drawing units representing meters and then, in some other location of modelspace, draw the go-cart using drawing units representing millimeters. Nothing forces to use the same for both. So long as your intentions are properly communicated to paperspace for both cases (ie: setting up the correct viewscales using SCALELISTEDIT- see post 50) everything will work out. If you decide to draw everything using the same drawing unit representation (mms or meters) the go-cart will undoubtedly end up looking awful small next to your airport layout, so small you would even doubt its existence. I think the way Acad is setup up is pretty neat since it gives you the opportunity to make all the drawings and geometry that lives inside modelspace equally visible

Computer Details
    CADTutor's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    Motherboard:
    Asus P7P55D-E PRO
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7-860
    RAM:
    4GB PC3-12800 C8 Corsair Dominator
    Graphics:
    NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800 768 MB
    Primary Storage:
    Intel X25-M SSD 160GB
    Secondary Storage:
    Samsung Spinpoint 320GB
    Monitor:
    BenQ FP241W 24" Wide
    Discipline
    Education
    CADTutor's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Senior Lecturer (Digital Design), Landscape Architect & Web Designer
    Discipline
    Education
    Using
    AutoCAD 2015

In principle, you're right but I wouldn't encourage the mixing of units within a single drawing - that way madness lies
    Tip: Please do not PM or email me with CAD questions - use the forums, you'll get an answer sooner.
    AutoCAD Tutorials | How to add images to your posts | How to register successfully | Forum FAQ

Using
    AutoCAD 2014

I have to agree. Mixed units will not make a CAD tech popular with downstream collaborators.

The same, no doubt, would apply to my suggestion to modify the Page Setup’s Plot Scale Factor – especially if it’s sole purpose was a rather dubious advantage of a 1:1 viewport scale factor relationship.

Conceivably, though, some offices deal with drawings based on different Units. Meters and millimeters would be a likely combo. This office may own Block libraries based on Meters – for Model Space insertions, as well as millimeter assets for Page Layout.

AutoCAD only allows one Insertion Scale per drawing. When set for Meters, inserting page layout content will be hampered. My suggestion of modifying the plot scale factor, at least, allows for automated scaling for both Model- and PaperSpace.

Using
    AutoCAD 2012

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

If your drawing needs to get shared with others and there's lots of importing and exporting going on you are absolutely correct, using mixed units is not a very good idea. For stand alone applications (shop drawings used internally for instance) it could have its benefits I think.... seeing everything that lives in modelspace in approximately the same size with a simple zoom-extents command could be a useful feature. For example, in my previous example both the airport layout and go-cart would draw about 2000 units long in modelspace, now replace that go-cart with something more useful like the flooring tiles used in the different areas of the airport and the advantages of this technique become readily apparent I believe