Is It Wise To Double Up On AutoCAD Courses. Also Have Some Question.

Guest MrMarc

Guest MrMarc

Hopefull I put this in the right thread, I believe I have if not please move it.

Sorry if this is a little long.

A little bit about me, I've been working in an architectural firm for a little over year now basically doing preliminary work like coloring and graphic stuff i've also been using autoCAD for the past year doing basic things like square-foot cal and other basic things. So right now my boss is going to have a pay raise talk with me and he would also like to see me in the drafting side of things, he also told me he would pay for any classes or courses :D he basically just wants me to get more of the core features of AutoCAD down and then he said once I start the drafting side of things, within the year I would know what I'm doing.

So I have been looking at the Penn Foster drafting with AutoCAD course and another course via Ashworth and would like to know if I'm heading in the right direction of things at least course wise.

Ashworth --> http://www.ashworthcollege.edu/career-diplomas/autocad

Penn Foster --> http://www.pennfoster.edu/programs-and-degrees/engineering-and-drafting/drafting-with-autocad-career-diploma

How does the Ashworth one look course wise?

Is it wise to take both at the same time?, that if these course suit my needs.

Thank you for your time.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• rkent

• JD Mather

• Dana W

My suggestion is as follows.

Do NOT take the Penn-Foster AutoCAD course. It's a waste of money and the instructors do not answer questions in a timely manner. The "projects" are haphazardly written, prone to errors and omissions and do not cover many of the newer features found in AutoCAD. BTW...the latest release is AutoCAD 2015. I have no knowledge of Ashworth College so I will have to pass on that.

I would do two things.

First. Contact your local AutoDesk reseller and ask if they offer courses. Most do. They typically have both a basic and an advanced course. If your boss can spare you the basic course usually runs for a full week. The advanced course would probably be three days. You'll be in a class with other newbies, have an instructor who knows the program, you can ask all the questions you want, network with your peers and leave at the end of the week with all your course materials (you paid for them). Classes tend to be relatively small too so you do not get lost in the crowd.

Second. See if your local community college offers an Introduction to AutoCAD course. These will typically be held one or two nights a week (3 to 4 hours a night) and run for a full semester (four months). The downside is you have the course fee, admin services fee, computer lab fee (whether you use it or not) as well as the cost of any books. There may be other "requirements" that you will have to meet as well.

Guest MrMarc

Ok, Thank you.

This morning I showed my co-worker these things, he said the Ashworth one looks the best and should cover all of my needs and then they will teach me the rest drafting wise etc.

None of the colleges near me offer just a cad class there full on degrees, even the trade schools near me don't offer just a class, but there this tho :) Link below. What do you think about them? So right now I plan on Ashworth followed by the advance course below.

http://www.certstaff.com/trainingcatalog/course+id+autocad-2014-advanced.html

Can you tell me what you think of the course outline to?

Certstaff? For the price they are charging you could take three courses at a community college and two at your local AutoDesk reseller. I vote thumbs down.

Ashworth could just as well be another diploma mill. If you are seriously considering signing up for their AutoCAD course I would first do a search on "Ashworth College"+"reviews" and see what other students had to say.

Have you contacted your local AutoDesk reseller to inquire about courses? This is your BEST bet.

Guest MrMarc

No I have not contacted a local autodesk resller, but when I get a chance I will. I will also review the Ashworth college more etc. Will post back on my findings. Anything else I should know?

Thank you, for all the help so far.

Yes. Should you decide on taking the Ashworth College AutoCAD course please return throughout the time it takes you and tell us what you think about the course itself and the instructor. Who knows, maybe you'll help someone in the future looking to make a similar decision.

Good luck.

Guest MrMarc

Thank you.! Please at-least make a sticky and kinda warn people about Penn Foster like you mentioned. I will post back back for sure, and will use this site for help along with the help of my co-workers. Again thank you for everything. :thumbsup:

None of the colleges near me offer just a cad class there full on degrees...

AutoCAD classes are generally 100 level classes - no prerequisites.

If there is a class at a local college - you should be able to get into it whether you are degree seeking or not.

Guest MrMarc
AutoCAD classes are generally 100 level classes - no prerequisites.

If there is a class at a local college - you should be able to get into it whether you are degree seeking or not.

The local colleges near me don't offer anything trust me I been taking a good look at them, there only ONE that offers cad and it a full on degree path. Even the trade/ vocational schools in my area don't offer, well only besides side one but again its a full on degree path. In my area there not much to offer.

Right now Im about to look at the autodesk resellers to ask.

Also i'm sifting through all the Ashworth college reviews.

Ashworth looks like a joke. Look at their website where they tell you about the important drafting topics they will teach you.

Circles and Drawing Aids wow they mention circles

Object Snap should be snaps

Isometric Drawing very old school and a waste of time

Modeling what does this really mean, 3d modeling, or just what

Templates, Copies and Arrays copies ?

It looks like they don't know much about AutoCAD and are grabbing some words from a book to sell you something you can get for free elsewhere.

Guest MrMarc
Ashworth looks like a joke. Look at their website where they tell you about the important drafting topics they will teach you.

Circles and Drawing Aids wow they mention circles

Object Snap should be snaps

Isometric Drawing very old school and a waste of time

Modeling what does this really mean, 3d modeling, or just what

Templates, Copies and Arrays copies ?

It looks like they don't know much about AutoCAD and are grabbing some words from a book to sell you something you can get for free elsewhere.

Thank you for that. I will contact them and see if they can give a better break down of the course outline, If its a joke they I won't go with them.

Thank you for that. I will contact them and see if they can give a better break down of the course outline, If its a joke they I won't go with them.

I agree with rkent. :beer:

Before you are even able to get any answers from Ashworth, you could be up and running by just going to the first link he posted.

That is the same link I used about 5 or 6 years ago to teach myself, and it is very well conceived, available 24/7, and totally free.

The only thing you have to lose is your ignorance, try the we-r-here link for half an hour, and see what you think,

before shelling out a wad of cash, for what may turn out to be an online shell-game. There is an awful lot of money

to be made online from CLAIMING to be qualified and willing to teach Autocad, but talk is cheap.

I would wager a hefty chunk of change that rkent knows more about Autocad than anyone at Ashworth.

Probably a lot more.

I could be wrong, but I doubt it. :|

Guest MrMarc
Have you looked at the tutorials here at CADTutor?

Yes I did take a quick look. I'm a fast learner and if that's that route I have to take then I will take it. I know one person provide me some links, and would like to know if you can also provide some useful ones to?

I did look at the autodesk reseller option and they have some classes but there 3 days, and there around $700-800 talk about cramming lol.

So thank you everyone for all the generous help, looks like my plan of tackle will be the tutorials for now, so lets see how my boss likes that idea haaa.

Guest MrMarc
I agree with rkent. :beer:

Before you are even able to get any answers from Ashworth, you could be up and running by just going to the first link he posted.

That is the same link I used about 5 or 6 years ago to teach myself, and it is very well conceived, available 24/7, and totally free.

The only thing you have to lose is your ignorance, try the we-r-here link for half an hour, and see what you think,

before shelling out a wad of cash, for what may turn out to be an online shell-game. There is an awful lot of money

to be made online from CLAIMING to be qualified and willing to teach Autocad, but talk is cheap.

I would wager a hefty chunk of change that rkent knows more about Autocad than anyone at Ashworth.

Probably a lot more.

I could be wrong, but I doubt it. :|

Ok, Looks my plan of tackle will be the tuts on here. :geek:

It's a shame that none of my local colleges/community and trade/vocational schools don't offer just a simple cad class. I literally spent a good amount of time at work today revisiting each of them to make just to sure. Like how hard is it to have a simple class that goes over more of the core features? Anyways enough ranting, it time to learn!

If your company has dealt with the reseller in the past then ask if they would be willing to drop the price to $650 for the three days.