slice a radius 3d object

dreamer

Hi.

I want to SLICE away (TOP view, right to left) the corner of this 3d object without success. The red polyline is the planar Object.

Please help. Thanks in advance.

slice.jpg

To me - the easiest way is to Extrude the red polyline as a surface body. Command Extrude.

Then Slice with Surface the solid. Command Slice.

I then moved the resulting solid bodies to clearly illustrate that the part has been sliced. (see attached)

SLICE w Surface.dwg

Hi Seant. I have been trying this method too and it works. But it's a long process, I made a Flatshot, trim the area I don't want, Extrude and Subtract.

Thanks for your help.

To me - the easiest way is to Extrude the red polyline as a surface body. Command Extrude.

I then moved the resulting solid bodies to clearly illustrate that the part has been sliced. (see attached)

[ATTACH]49235[/ATTACH]

I tried that, it doesn't work for me.

I don't always remember which versions support the various functions. Extrude and Boolean operations go way back.

I would have guessed that AutoCAD 2010 supported Slice (with Surface option), but based on this, maybe not:

Start by switching to a SW Isometric view.

Now using the EXTRUDE command extrude your red polyline completely through your 3D model. This will create a surface that will be used to slice the model.

Invoke the SLICE command. When prompted to "Select the objects to slice" click on your 3D model then press the Enter key.

When prompted to "Specify start point of slicing plane or [planar Object Surface Zaxis View XY YZ ZX 3points]" type the letter S for Surface.

When asked to "Select a surface" select the extruded surface you created previously. Pick the surface itself and not the polyline used to create it.

AutoCAD will then ask you to "Select sliced object to keep or [keep BOTH sides]. If you select one of the two parts of the sliced model AutoCAD will discard the other. Or, you can elect to keep both parts. After you have made your choice erase the surface (along with the original polyline). You have completed the task.

Try it. The technique is worth learning.

SurfaceSlicing.jpg

Look at the objects in the middle. You have your original 3D model in white, the extruded polyline cutting surface in red and the portion of your model to be slice off shown in cyan. Hope this helps.

I found the answer why I sliced the extruded red polyline didn't work. When SLICE, I picked the "planar Object" but instead I should pick the "Surface".

Thanks all for your help:D

When in doubt, and or, all else fails? Read the commandline slowly and attentively. :|

As you now probably see, a curved surface is not a planar Object.

Edited by Dadgad

Your original problem statement indicated your intent was to Slice the object.

I assumed that you want to keep both resulting parts.

If you wanted to cut away that corner the Presspull command with a closed profile might be the easiest technique. (result same as Extrude and Subtract)

Did you intend to Shell that part (make uniform wall thickness)? If so, I would do the Shell feature before the Slice feature.

Command Solidedit>Shell