overriding

bjenk8100

Is it possible to override colors and thicknesses and what not for things such as conduits and and other autodesk families without making a new one and changing the existing in the library. I just want to be able to make somethings red every now and then. For instance in autocad you just go to properties and change color for individual objects. Revit seems like it does not like that

Graphics can be overridden from the right click menu. Like in AutoCAD, it's a practice I would try to avoid using in sheet views unless absolutely necessary. I have not yet found a way to easily change everything back to the non overridden state.

Is it possible to override colors and thicknesses and what not for things such as conduits and and other autodesk families without making a new one and changing the existing in the library. I just want to be able to make somethings red every now and then. For instance in autocad you just go to properties and change color for individual objects. Revit seems like it does not like that
To override a single object, select it and type EOD shortcut. This brings up the Override Element dialog. Alternatively, when something is selected you can go to the Ribbon > Modify | [Category] > View Panel > Override Graphics in View (Paintbrush Icon) > Override by Element. Or, right-click menu like Rob mentioned.

I have not yet found a way to easily change everything back to the non overridden state.
Instead of using Overrides, use Filters. This way you can turn them Off/On in a snap (globally). Most people using Revit know that you should always have a View Template applied to your Views that are to be plotted, even if nothing is checked in the View Template. This way you can enable a single category... such as Filters, just for that one little item you need to change across the board. The management of View Templates and Filters is where Revit shines past all the other CAD applications out there. It's amazing how much control and automation comes from those two tools.

:)

Edited by tzframpton

I wish revit had same kind of commands as autocad. I live and die by ctrl 1 in autocad. And the whole layer thing.

I wish revit had same kind of commands as autocad. I live and die by ctrl 1 in autocad. And the whole layer thing.
If Revit had the same kinds of commands as AutoCAD, then it would be AutoCAD.

Ctrl+1 is the properties palette in Revit, just like AutoCAD... and you can type KS to change any commands to what you're familiar with in AutoCAD if you really want.