Inability to convert regions to faces of a Solid.

TrueOchre

Hello everyone, I'm Ochre, a Portuguese HS student, and a newcomer to this board, and since it's my first post here, before anything else, I thank you for the useful information I've found and the rest of it to be discovered.

As I'm sure that it's not of your "jurisdiction" to help students in need, something which I fully agree on, I'm afraid that I've stumbled into something that's been disabling me to continue my work (unfortunately, something that needs to be done quite quickly); as the subject says, I've been trying to create a solid out of regions, formerly meshes and surfaces, but it doesn't seem to let me do it, it's not that I know that extrusion is most of the times the way to go, it really doesn't apply here; I'm sure it'll be something simple, but I feel like I'm fishing with my bare hands whilst blindfolded.

I'll attach the file, and not wanting to beg or anything, but I really do need someone's help or feedback, all the possibles solutions after googling it for some hours have become null.

Any advice would be TRULY appreciated, even the most blurted out alternatives are at hand, since I'm a bit low on time

Thanks in advance.

P.S.: The fact that the faces to the right of the object carry no thickness was deliberated, not only that, through that face, it'd be supposed to mirror it creating somewhat of an isosceles triangle without its base (considering that you're viewing it from the front side); it's supposed to be the front part of a cage feature that enables the placement of both LED panels and protective shells.

P.P.S.: I'm really not sure if this is the right place to ask these questions, but it seemed the most responsive to newbie users.

ACADFORUMS.dwg

You want to convert a region to a 3DFace? If that truly is the case I found this advice over at the CADforum. I have to admit though your object is so unusually thin that it is difficult to discern your design intent.

If you want to cover a closed polyline or a region with a "blanket" of 3dfaces, you can use the 3D modeling functions available in AutoCAD since version 2010.

Any closed polyline or a region can be converted to a Mesh object (2D). Just use the MESHSMOOTH command. If your polyline border contains arc segments, you may want to refine the resulting mesh with the MESHREFINE command. This will increase the density of the small patches and more precisely fill in the arcs.

The mesh can be easily converted to 3d face entities (3DFACE) just by exploding - the EXPLODE command.

To my dismay, one of the supposed regions was in an Off layer when I transported it over to the new document, more specifically the base of the solid.

Mark, thank you for your suggestions, but I feel that in some way I might've not fully explained myself.

Converting it to a mesh was rather easy, and I've been able to do it before, also the explode command, the thing is, I want to be able to join all the regions or meshes into one solid, with the appropriate filling and not just a blanket all over (as in, when you highlight just one face, the whole structure is highlighted along with it).

I hope that I could at least clarify a bit of my views, but once again, I thank you for giving me a shimmer of hope concerning this.

The expression "blanket" was taken from your previous post, Mark, but it might have been misinterpreted by myself.

As for the "appropriate filling", it'd be taken as true volume of a solid.

Also, thank you so much for the .dwg file, despite missing one little thing that I forgot to transfer over to the file (no biggie), if it's not bothersome, could you explain how you've done it?

Did I say thank you yet? - Thank you!

Ah yes, a "blanket of 3DFaces". Gotcha.

How did I do it?

I converted your regions to surfaces. I used the Thicken command on the resultant surfaces and specified a thickness of .001 which resulted in separate 3D solids. I then unioned these together.

You're welcomed.

Ah, I've managed to do it as well; that's brilliant!

Thanks, once again, this has made me a lot more relieved, and I'll be close to finishing my project, I'll make sure to credit you once I'm presenting it.

If there's anything I may help in, be sure to ask.

(This thread may be closed now, as for the command order, to sum it up for future viewers.)

1 - CONVTOSURFACE designed regions;

2 - THICKEN the resulting surfaces resulting in volumetric intersections;

3 - UNION command.

Brilliance had nothing to do with it. The technique was learned by hanging around here; it's not like I came up with it on my own.

You do not have to credit me. You did the work. I just provided some advice.

Threads are rarely closed unless they get out of hand (as in argumentative).