AutoCAD 2014 - Lags opening certain file and Block Editor

AllenHouse

HI All,

I am new on here but have read through many threads and done hours of searching on the interweb in search of some help as I am at my wits end now.

The System Spec

Intel i7 4770k

24Gb RAM

250Gb SSD for operating system and Programs

1Tb HDD internal for file storage.

The Problem

When I open a specific file, which I created myself and copied nothing into, I get to 16% and the program become Non Responsive. After a couple of minutes it will open and all is fine until I enter Block Editor for the first time. Upon exiting the pointer is laggy, jerky and slow. I can zoom out to extents and then all is fine but as it is a large file, No larger than others that I have no issues with, it takes a while to do and disturbs my flow as Im sure you will appreciate.

All other files are fine and carry no issues it is just this one. Audit and purge yield nothing as I keep my drawing files clean and managed well.

Sometimes I also get the centre monitor (I have three) leak onto the edges of the other two. I am installing a new Quadro 500 card tomorrow but as mny existing card is only a month or so old and manages the other files fine, I cant think what is causing this issue.

How can I check the fundamental differences between files that may cause this?

Thank you

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AllenHouse

• ReMark

• RobDraw

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you tried recovering the file?

Did you use -PURGE (note the dash at the beginning)? It has more options.

Is it a specific block that you are editting or does it happen with any block?

My inclination is that there is an object(s) that AutoCAD is not liking. Possibly an attribute that has been orphaned from it's block. It's really just a guessing game without access to the file.

Hi RobDRaw,

Thank you for your reply.

No I don't use -Purge. I can see there are many choices with this command, do these choices not get selected during the normal purge command?

It happens in any block within the drawing. I have tried to upload the dwg but the file facility isn't working for me

No I don't use -Purge. I can see there are many choices with this command, do these choices not get selected during the normal purge command?

That is true.

It happens in any block within the drawing. I have tried to upload the dwg but the file facility isn't working for me

If you are using Internet Explorer, try a different browser. I cannot upload with I.E.

I will try but at the moment I am trying to finish production drawings and this issue is slowing me down soo much I could through in the towel lol

There are two choices you want to make when using the command line version (-purge) of the purge command. First purge Regapps only. Then repeat the command and do a purge > All. Follow this up with an Audit.

You suspect the problem may lie with one or more blocks? Are they attributed?

If you are going to attempt to upload the drawing note that there is a file size limit.

You mentioned large file size in your original post but you were not specific. How large is the file?

Are xrefs being used?

Are layer filters being used?

Did you attempt to use the WBlock command or the -EXPORTTOAUTOCAD commands to see if you could reduce the file size or fix the problem you are having?

Thanks ReMark,

Just -purge>regapps>all and there were no unreferenced objects detected. Not sure what that means.........

There are no xrefs and I am not using layer filters.

The file is 15Mb

I have not attempted to use the wblock command or -exporttoautocad. I use wblock everyday to extract certain sections of drawings to pass on to other offices/companies but never to actually reduce a drawing size. If I do, what happens to all the layouts? How do you use the export to autocad function?

That file size is way too large to upload here. The only way someone here would be able to see it is if you were to put it on a file sharing site like Dropbox.

Is this a 3D drawing?

You certainly pack a lot of detail into your drawings. It locked up my computer.

What are the lines going both vertically and horizontally that seem to stretch on forever?

Sorry it locked up your computer, you should see my 3D model of the entire building lol. The lines: They are ray lines that I use to represent levels, i.e. floor level or transom level etc. Yes they go one for ever although you can change them to polylines if you want and use them as actual geometry.

No wonder I couldn't zoom > extents and see the end of them. But once I erased them the drawing didn't seem to lag as much.

I will delete and see if it makes a difference to me. I have used them in other files that I don't have an issue with.

Nope, still the same after I have deleted them.

I am really at my wits end with this. I have even shut off my additional screens to check if it was the Graphics Card, but no change there. I am even fitting a new Quadro 5000 card tomorrow so will have to suffer with just two screens. I am doubting that that will change anything too.

I have been through the file paths and can't see anything arye there so it must be something in this file that I can't see and is beyond my capacity as an AutoCAD user.

The only blocks not used in the other files are the referencing blocks which have attributes but are all accounted for if I do a block count

I may have stumbled across something. I'll need a minute or so. I'll be back.

I did find something but I'm not sure how much of a difference it may make.

Go to the rectangle that encloses the six elevations. Invoke the Erase command and window the entire box. STOP! Look at the command line. AutoCAD says it found 228803 objects. Now run the OVERKILL command on the same box with all the elevations in it. On the first pass AutoCAD should report back that it deleted 5919 duplicate objects and deleted over 67000 overlapping objects or segments. Run the command again and 362 overlapping objects or segments will be deleted. Run it again. 25 more are deleted. Run it again. 4 more are deleted. Run it one last time. There will be 0 duplicate objects and 0 overlapping objects or segments. Do the same thing on the three horizontal boxes to the right. It's not as bad but it may take two passes. Now save the drawing under a new name. Compare file sizes. I was able to strip 2MB off the file size.

How were those elevations created in the first place? Did you use the FLATTEN command?

Edited by ReMark

Those elevations are ripped out of solidworks.

I havent used overkill before.

The panel elevations are blocks which I import into other drawings so the curtain wall is accurate all the way through the design. How will it effect blocks ontop of blocks? will it explode them or does it just deal with overlapping polylines?

I havent used flattern before, what is that?

Is this the only drawing that content was ported over from Solidworks?

Overkill does not explode blocks.

Flatten creates a flattened view of 3D objects and regions in the current viewport.