3D issues

bjenk8100

Sorry to bother everyone, but I have to get reacquainted. I love Revit and it saves boat loads of time especially 3D. My problem that I am use to using different views while drawing. For instance, in Solidworks, you pop around into different planes so you can edit and have lots of control of your drawing. In revit, I go to east, west, north and south to try and edit something in that direction but you are not on the same plane. You can see your drawing but it could be hundreds of feet away. On top of that all those level lines are in the way. Am I missing out on something. People will probably say use family editor but the editor doesnt have all the features in the project. For example, I am drawings conduit in a building. Conduit is going horizontal and vertical with fittings. I draw horizontal and want to go vertical so you ideally would like to swap views to an elevation. Any feedback is greatly desired.

Thanks,

BJ

It sounds like you need some basic training. Take a course or find some free tutorials. There is plenty of information out there. Do a little learning and come back with any specific questions you encounter.

Sorry to bother everyone, but I have to get reacquainted.
No need to apologize!! We're here to help. You can't get good at something unless you don't ask and don't try... keep the questions coming. :)

My problem that I am use to using different views while drawing. For instance, in Solidworks, you pop around into different planes so you can edit and have lots of control of your drawing.
In Revit, you can (and should) use multiple Views of the same area/object. Also, Revit needs to know what Plane you need to be on. It does a decent job at guessing but the problem is, unlike SolidWorks, Revit has a much larger canvas to deal with so it's harder for Revit to guess... but also certain Components are made to act a certain way in 3D Views.

So, on any of the Discipline Ribbon Tabs (Architecture, Structure or Systems) if you look to the far right of the Ribbon you'll notice the Work Plane Panel. Click the "Show" icon to enable the current and active Work Plane. Then you can use the Set tool to set the Work Plane to a face, or choose a Reference Plane/Level from a drop down menu. This is the same as manipulating the UCS in AutoCAD, only it works more intuitively. This way you don't have to use Sections or Elevations and you can just use the View Cube to orbit around and edit items.

People will probably say use family editor but the editor doesnt have all the features in the project. For example, I am drawings conduit in a building. Conduit is going horizontal and vertical with fittings.
Conduit is what is called a "System Family" and there's no editor available, nor can it be allowed to be inside of another Family. Anything you edit/create in the Family Editor is what's called a "Loadable Family". They serve two very different functions. Loadable Families are meant to be a single containment of parametric objects. System Families are ingrained into Revit and have very specific functions and behave in specific ways. Your frustrations with the Conduit tools is because you're not yet efficient with it. I can run 3D conduits extremely fast, without hassle, because I've spent years working through the functions and behaviors of Conduits and now we have a great relationship together. When I first started using Revit I cannot say the relationship between me and Conduits were great, lol.

I draw horizontal and want to go vertical so you ideally would like to swap views to an elevation.
What I do in any event I am running Conduit and need to offset up or down while in Plan View and I don't want to interrupt my run, is I will type my new elevation and hit the Apply button (which temporarily takes you to that elevation but you're prompted to continue) and I keep on running my horizontal run. Even if I don't know my elevation yet, I don't care - just pick something and when you're done, open an Elevation View and make your adjustments.

The main thing people try and do is do it all in a single pass. This is not recommended in ANY platform. Just get from Point A to Point B first, THEN go back and make some tweaks here/there and elevation changes.

Also, get a good Workspace set up going. With me, I have a Floor Plan View open, then I use ONLY two Section Callouts that span the building end to end, and I name them "N/S Section" and "E/W Section". The Section Views have all architectural and structural elements set to 60% Transparency to see through beams and walls, etc, and I keep the Visual Style to Consistent and the Far Clip Offset is set to 2'-0" default but sometimes I drag it out to 5'-0" or 6'-0" or as needed (so that you're not seeing any more of the building than you need in Section). This gives me my North/South Sections and my East/West Sections in which I continually relocate based on what area I'm working in. These two Views are always open on my second monitor so I always see a Plan, N/S Section and E/W Section at all times. To me it's the most efficient set up in Revit and really streamlines my workflow.

Hope this helps.