XREF's Constantly Request Reloading

Bill Tillman

We use some XREF's for the title blocks in our standard template drawing files. These seldom is ever get changed or edited in anyway. But no matter what, when I open one of the DWG template files the message balloon appears in the lower right corner of the AutoCAD window stating "External Reference Files Have Changed" and that they may need to be reloaded. I guess "may" is the operative word here. There's no problem except that it's annoying to keep seeing this balloon popup and many of the users, like users will be are not happy unless they have something to complain about.

The XREF's ares stored out on one of our Novell servers. Just this morning I switched Windows drive mappings to use UNC. This resolved the problem of with different departments using different drive letters for their mappings and made the IT guys happy. And in the automated drawing process we use, these XREF's get bound to the file so once they're shipped out, it they get shipped out be it to another branch office or one of our customers, there's no problem with missing XREF's.

When opening a file with XREFs, they are loaded and should not need to be reloaded. It's only if changes are made while you have the drawing open that that message should appear.

Check your "Demand load XREF" settings on the "Open and Save" tab in options. I have mine set to "Enable with copy". If you have it set to "Enabled", it may be causing what you are experiencing.

Thanks RobDraw,

I checked my settings in options and mine is also set to "Enable with Copy". There are no changes being made to these XREF's yet each time I open an AutoCAD file I see this darn balloon. I even tried disabling the option and it still comes up.

Wierd...!

I missed that it was a template. If I understand you correctly, that template has XREFs in it?

Open it and save as a template again, even if it doesn't have XREF's in it.

When I say template, it's not a true AutoCAD template. That is it's not saved as a template with a dwt extension. It's simply a regular AutoCAD file that we use as a template. I have opened and saved as you requested but each time I reopen it, I still get the balloon message.