Layer State Management

sheeptoast

Greetings,

I'm tasked with rebuilding my companies commercial building template. I will try to describe our current template structure and what problems we've run into with it.

We have about 10 "Master" drawings that contain the actual model space line work, each for a specific sub discipline (i.e. floor plan, dimension/text, HVAC, Drains/Vent. H20 lines, electrical, fire alarm, and so on) These drawings contain layers A1-Z1, A2-Z2, and A3-Z3 with each layer representing a module of the building (we're a modular construction company) and a few drawings have a few additional layers. These masters drawings xref each other for coordination.

Each drawing has layerstates setup so that one can look at only a specific module. Layer state A1, for instance, will turn on only the A1 layer for the current drawing and all of the xrefs in the particular drawing (i.e. A1 hvac, A1 h2o, A1 elec...)

Layer state problems occur when xrefs are inadvertently detached, new layers are added, or layers are accidentally purged. I've tried using Lee Mac's 'Steal' lisp routine to try and recover broken layer states from the original project template file but it doesn't seem to work.

I'm looking for advice on how to better manage a large amount of layer states and be able to adapt to user mistakes or the need to add new layers mid project without having to manually wade through 100+ layer states.

Not sure how to batch edit a layer state, pretty sure you have to save each one manually to add the layer you want in each one.

I would recommend making a layer matrix and block it along with other things you dont want purged from your file. then put in big letters do not delete.

Missing layers can be added pretty easy using a script a nice thing is that if you make a new layer and it exists the script keeps going. You could run some form of check on startup for missing layers depending on template used maybe have a hidden block with template name say as part of title blocks in layouts but outside plot area. Or USERI variables or Xdata. Others will help on setting up layer states I am sure.