how do I re-scale a drawn drawing @ 1:1 to 1:4000 within model space

Am presently working on a layout drawing sent to me by a surveyor... The layout was plotted in a scale of 1:4000, am finding it kinda difficult to re-scale to a model space of 1:1 which is what am used to. I would appreciate a guide to how I could re-scale this drawing from an already existing modelspace of 1:4000 to my usual workspace of 1:1 so I can continue my architectural design on the layout provided by the surveyor. I please would appreciate a quick solution y'all.

If what is drawn in Model Space is drawn at a scale of 1:4000 - then you can use the command SCALE to scale the whole thing up by 4000 (most likely use 0,0,0 as base point) to get it to 1:1 scale.

If you are unsure, it is always a good idea to attach the drawing here so we can take a look at it.

TG,

I would appreciate a walkthrough guide on how I can achieve that you recommended using the SCALE command please... Am a rookie when it comes to model space scaling...

First, take a copy of your drawing so that you have a backup in case something goes wrong.

1. Be in Model Space in your drawing

2. Use CTRL+A to highlight everything - if it is indeed everything that you need to scale. Note that this can take some time if you have a lot of objects in your drawing.

3. Type SCALE and hit enter

4. At prompt Specify Base Point: type in 0,0,0 and hit enter

5. at specify Scale Factor: type in 1/4000 and hit enter

6. If you do not see anything on your drawing when the command is done, type in ZE and hit enter to do a Zoom Extents (or double click on the scroll wheel)

This assumes that your drawing is at it's correct coordinates, and the coordinates are also 4000 times too big. If coordinates are of no importance, you can if you want use any point as your Base Point.

I think that you should ask the surveyor for a drawing at 1:1.

I find it very difficult to believe that a surveyor would actually work in scaled dimensions.

I would like to see such a drawing.

If blocks are being used then scaling the drawing up in model space might screw up the values if any are attached. You may have to place the whole drawing in paper space and work on it there. Set up a layout for the size sheet your going to use then place your drawing in it. Don't use any viewports yet because your not drawing in model space. Drawing 1:1 is way more accurate but you don't have that option here and scaling up the drawing might throw the whole thing off. Your best bet is to draw 1:1 based on your sheet size then scaling your dimensions. It's a pain in the ass and takes longer but in the end your drawing will be more accurate than if you just scaled up the whole thing.

The other thing to be wary of is objects on layers that are OFF, FROZEN, or LOCKED - these won't be affected by the scale operation so you'd be at risk of having a bunch of stuff 4000 times too small. I'd suggest you have a check through your layer list for those, maybe even use a layer state to return things to their previous status after scaling them.

dJE