Calculating Material with Laminate - Automagically?

Dave Paul

Hello All,

I am designing a cabinet where all the components have either 3/32" laminate or 1/64" edge banding. A 3/4" thick shelf is really 15/16" and a 24" width shelf is really 24-1/32" wide.

Is there a way to draw the component to the finished size, including the laminates, and have Solidworks calculate what the material size will be?

The reason that I am asking is that I am passing the part files to a CNC machine for cutting.

Thank you for your thoughts. :)

Solidworks, Autocad LT ? cnc which way are we going here. If Autocad then globally set sizes for laminate and use lisps enter length and width auto subtracts back to 24" total panel true cut size. Also dynamic blocks these can have subtracts in formula.

Just a thought you can also maybe use 'cal when entering lengths and widths

'cal 24-2*3/16

Dave: Which program are you using? Your profile says LT yet you posted in the Solidworks forum.

BIGAL: LT does not support the use of lisp.

Can't you simply model to the finished size and then create a Configuration removing the lamination thickness(es)?

In the configuration, would I just decrease the material size, right? I think I'm making this too difficult by trying to update the thickness.

In the configuration, would I just decrease the material size, right? I think I'm making this too difficult by trying to update the thickness.

Careful i would be when working with laminates(specially grainy ones) remember you need overhang for trimming along with the added saw kerf all depending on raw laminate material sizes on the market and take-off from the sheet you might end up needing to buy an extra sheet if shy 1/4 inch (depending on the nesting program you use) grain side must be taken in consideration (i use cutlist platinum) and at $500 a sheet i would do reverse engineering to get an idea of cabinet sizes core boards to cut according to laminate and avoid going over budget.

Best

R

What version of SW are you using? Have you tried using equations or design tables? I can create an example but you need SW 2014 to view file. Let me know.

Here's one way. You can use the power of excel to drive your model. You can change the formulas in the design table to fit your needs. Currently...length, width, and height inputs don't compensate for laminate/edge thickness. If your not familiar with design tables Ive attached a link to see how it can be edited. Hope it helps.

Box.zip

Thank you for your help. I'm going use the design table idea to build a few parts and see how the design flows.

OK..., thinking...

Is there a way that I can apply an specific named appearance to a body/face and with that information use a design table to adjust the core part size?

Trying to build the part with the finished dimensions. Apply a "parameter" to a body/face. That "parameter" can be used by the design table to adjust the core part.

Thank you for all your help

I'm going to write a macro that walks thru the faces. If the face has a particular appearance, I'll adjust a separate configuration.

One configuration will be the part with the laminates and the other will be the adjusted core.