Bending Steel HSS

kstout90

Hello all,

I am having issues with a new concept that our shop is trying out. I have seen the process on youtube but it was done on SolidWorks and not on AutoCAD. Here is my situation.

We manufacture steel framed trailers in our shop, and to cut down on costs, we are trying the concept of taking one piece of steel and instead of cutting it at an angle and then welding it together, we want to take the steel and bend it instead.

So for example, we have a barn door assembly that we would like the outside frame of it to be made out of one piece of steel. (see picture)

I have found youtube videos that are exactly what we are looking to do but I have no idea how to draw it...can anyone help?

Please see youtube video

to have a better understanding...

rear barn door.jpg

I should maybe elaborate a little more... we do not have a 3D plasma cutter, just a regular band saw and plasma table so what they are doing in the youtube video is not possible in our shop. Also, I have come up with this basic design, which could be cut in our shop, and I have tried the bend part feature in Inventor, but it doesn't bend it at a nice 90 degree bend. The part becomes too rounded and doesn't come together like it does in the video...

tube.jpg

tube bend.jpg

Why not use a skeleton drawn first, then use insert frame such as two angle bars then Miter it . So the connected frame angle is Straight angle as 90 degree.

Attach your *.ipt file here.

I have ZERO doubt that Inventor will be able to do this seamlessly,

looking forward to JD's clarification on how it should be handled, as I don't use Inventor,

but admire its Modernity! :)

Ayo kstout, please post your file?