Windows 7 or 8?

lrm

I am about to buy a new PC that I plan to use for several years. I will be using 2014 versions of AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit, and 3DS Max.

Should I bite the bullet and make the transition to Windows 8.1 now or stay with Windows 7 64-bit? Do the Autodesk products listed above run reliably with Windows 8? I plan on getting a NVIDIA Quadro K600 video board with the pc.

Thank you, Lee

I have both systems, and haven't really warmed up to Windows 8.

Different strokes for different folks.

I wish that when I bought my last new laptop I had stuck with Windows 7. :|

I want my computer to act like a computerr, not a smartphone.

I am not into the social media prioritization which seems to drive

the Windows 8 system. :|

When I bought a new laptop for my daughter I made a point of getting her one with Windows 7.

I am sure there are those who love it, but do they all work for Microsoft?

Edited by Dadgad

My opinion is That Win 8 is merely the leading edge of a marketing move to make a computer function and appear more like a smart phone.

Why? Simply put, the smartphone and tablet have become extensions and/or replacements for the millennial brain. That's the way we raised them, that's all they know. That is all the tech they will spend huge sums of money for.

The CSI Miami look is in. The cutesie-wutesie eye candy sells better than technical efficiency these days. Imagine how good an Intel i7 dual processor could be if it didn't use 42% of its capacity running senseless "Live Apps" and hugely inefficient display graphics. That is what my current Win 8 is sitting at right now.

The default Windows 8 boot list has over 100 programs in it. Are you kidding me?

I bet a bare bones Win 3.1 look alike version re-coded and properly debugged to run on a modern powerful computer would out perform the current version by an unimaginable margin. Of course, I would have to actually go look at a list of programs to make something run. Gosh, what an effort that would be.

another vote for win 7. Win 8 is probably better if you have a touch screen but it is a pain running to the corners to activate something with a mouse.

another vote for win 7. Win 8 is probably better if you have a touch screen but it is a pain running to the corners to activate something with a mouse.
I have a 27" touch screen. It is Way Too Far to hold up my hands. Now when I stand up and lay the screen out flat It's just like on CSI Miami. :lol:

It took my wife a month to figure out how to close an IE window. I ran the cursor over the blue "e" one day and found 23 open IE windows. At least they were blank. Don't EVEN suggest I show her the other browsers. I have. D'ya ever see that expression they get when they simply go :huh:catatonic?:unsure:

It's a detective story TV series. CSI stands for Crime Scene Investigations. The team has a super high tech semi fictional computer lab that would be the envy of the NSA.

jessica-szohr-and-csi-miami-gallery.jpg

csimiamimonitor1pg4.jpg

I see.

My TV is so old the most hi-tech TV I get is "Blake's 7" with their super computer.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49482[/ATTACH]

So old.... ROFLMAO!!

I am about to buy a new PC that I plan to use for several years.

You are probably safe going with 7 for now. Support for it will eventually be dropped, but that will probably not happen until after your hardware needs replacing anyway (±2019-2020?)

• 3 weeks later...

I use AutoCAD 2010 on my Windows 7 64 bit machine with no problems. I also have experience with using AutoCAD 2009. However, I can't speak for the older versions.