Selecting viewports inside viewports

e_anders3

Hello everyone, this may be a dumb question but I've been struggling with it for a while now...

So I am entering various drawings in (elevation, floor plan, site plan and several details. Since all of them require different scales, I am creating a viewport for each one.

They all must go into a border/template which I also have in a viewport. HOWEVER, everytime I try to select the viewport which contain my drawings which I've made inside the border/template viewport, it wont select and rather highlights the border/template viewport-- only allowing me to edit/zoom into the border/template viewport.

HELP!

Should I not put the border/template into a viewport, and if not, how should I go about that (it is already scaled to fit my ArchD size paper.

Hello everyone, this may be a dumb question but I've been struggling with it for a while now...

So I am entering various drawings in (elevation, floor plan, site plan and several details. Since all of them require different scales, I am creating a viewport for each one.

They all must go into a border/template which I also have in a viewport. HOWEVER, everytime I try to select the viewport which contain my drawings which I've made inside the border/template viewport, it wont select and rather highlights the border/template viewport-- only allowing me to edit/zoom into the border/template viewport.

HELP!

Should I not put the border/template into a viewport, and if not, how should I go about that (it is already scaled to fit my ArchD size paper.

As Dadgad says OR, What I do to avoid having to pick the wrong one first, is to stretch a portion of each viewport out where I can pick it separately. As long as there is nothing in that part of the viewport, nobody has to know. You don't have to have the edges of your viewport lined up all pretty. Just leave them that way. No need to move the edge every time you want to get in there.

Another thing, the border should be in paperspace, not in a viewport at all. I use either a block or xref for my border depending on the size of the project.

Edited by Dana W

Ditto everything Dana said. :beer:

I drag an edge clear too for direct access, and use a block for the sheet, which is in paperspace.

To add even more, you can create a Polygon-shape for a Viewport, so not everyone has to be a perfect square. IF you want the titleblock to be inside a viewport, you can draw a line just around the frame and leave a hole in the middle for the rest of the viewports.

Not saying I recommend doing it that way, but it is entirely possible.

Yes it is, and in such a case, I do this all the time, you can just cycle through them, to activate whichever one you are after.

It can get a bit tedious, especially if you have a bunch of viewports, so I often leave the edge of overlying viewports clear

of the lower one, enabling direct double click access, as described by Dana, into the portion of the viewport which is not over the

backing viewport. :)

I would NEVER recommend putting a title block in a viewport. They belong on paperspace! If you have the option to move it to paper, I highly suggest doing that. Its easy to do. Just scale the titleblock depending whatever scale it was at to fit in paperspace. Paperspace is 1:1 so if the scaled titleblock was 1/4 scale, paste the title block into paperspace and the scale command to scale it down 1/48, if 1/8 scale, scale it 1/96, etc. Once you have it in paperspace the proper size, copy paste the layout sheets and it will also be the same size 1:1 as it should be. Hope that helps.

I prefer to have the title block/border in paper space, makes it a lot easier.

Unfortunately not all offices allow this (aka my last office) Its really annoying that way. They also had an office downstairs that didnt even use paperspace at all, they scaled drawings up and print from model. My office here does that too, but I've had them changed their ways to a template I created (thank god) I don't understand how offices can condone scaling drawings instead of using the proper viewports. There will be errors once someone needs to edit it. Paperspace should ALWAYS be utilized! I don't know how I'd be doing my current project at new office without layer states, paperspace and viewports, all plans stacked on each other. The PROPER way to draft! The other sister project was all separate files and if you moved a wall, you had to change the same plan 8 different times, talk about inefficient.