Stuck

autocadby

Hi everyone,

I am relatively new to Autocad having used it years ago, but just started using 2015 for work. I work for an engineering company and am required to draw small components right through to steel beam structures etc.

The thing that I am having trouble with is drawing a chimnea that my boss has designed.

I have attached the 2d drawing of it, but I want to draw a 3d model of it but it is proving incredibly tricky.

I just wanted to put it out there to see if any experienced 3d autocaders had any idea of a good place to start drawing this.

Also I just wondered if anyone could give me an idea is there is a way that you can copy the drawing 3 times and use autocad to change the perspective of the parts to piece them together like a jigsaw.

I know I sound like a noob, but thats because I am.

Apologies if I have broken any rules.

Please see attached file.

Its a 3 sided structure all identical sides and because of all the angles involved its baking my noodle. Hopefully someone can help with a magic tool or something although that seems unlikely. Its good to be here as I have used this forum many times to solve other issues.

Chimnea-Draft1 Layout1 (1).pdf

I have attached the 2d drawing of it,....

That doesn't look like a standard 2D drawing to me?

If I am understanding the design intent - I would Loft to Point and do some trimming.

Edited by JD Mather

I drew the basic shape, created the triangular outline, and then worked out the centre point for the base, then it is a fairly simple matter to find the apex with a vertical line and circle, from there I used align to place the sides (you only need do that once and then rotate with copy for the others), it just means changing the UCS a couple of times.

chimnea.dwg

Thanks both so much for your replies. I am forever grateful. steven-g that makes perfect sense to me thanks.

Remark can you explain the process. I understand how to extrude but not sure how that would work.

Thanks everyone

I don't have enough information at this time regarding your design intent to answer your question.

3D_Chimnea2.jpg

One of a handful of possibilities. Strictly a guess on my part.

Maybe you had something like this in mind?

3D_Chimnea3.jpg

The object is hollow in the center and an opening has been cut in one face. I colored the inside face of the object for contrast. The object on the right has been sliced in half.

This version has some but not all of the material removed from one face.

3D_Chimnea4.jpg

Edited by ReMark

That last one is the one I am trying to do. I am struggling to piece it together though.

If you explain that would be very useful...

Failing that the DWG file would be even better haha.

I would rather learn how you drew that though.

Thanks in advance.

It is going to be made out of stainless steel. The shapes are going to be lasercut out and then the pieces are going to be TIG welded together I believe, although don't quote me on that, I have just been asked to draw it at this stage. Although the person it's for did a similar thing with a barbecue for his garden and this is going to be a side piece for his patio.

I created the basic triangular shape in two sizes (using closed polyline triangles and the loft command) and subtracted one from the other to hollow it out. I then drew a closed polyline profile for the cut in on the face, extruded that and subtracted it.

Can you tell me what the circles are supposed to be in your drawing?

If you want a copy of my drawing I'll email it to you. Put your email address in a post like this: m y e m a i l a d d y AT s n e t DOT c o m

After you get the drawing come back and delete your email address.

AutoCAD 2015 I see. Same here.

I created the basic triangular shape in two sizes ... and subtracted one from the other to hollow it out. [/qUOTE]

Get lazy - one size and solidedit Shell. (although technically, neither technique results in a true sheet metal (uniform thickness, cut perpendicular to flat) part) Thicken lofted surface(s) would though.