Bad CAD

RobDraw

Rob, not picking on you or taking a side but I think that this person's position is directly related to the problem/solution. Depending on his position this will dictate how to address the situation. There are only 3 possibilities if this person works for your company. They are either under, over or in the same position as you. Each situation would be dealt with differently. I am betting over you which makes for a difficult can of worms indeed :(

Best of luck for sure.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RobDraw

• Organic

• ReMark

• Tiger

Yes, the designer is over me so. I cannot give him direction, only point out issues. I thought that was clear. On the other hand, management is working with me on this because I have valid concerns.

If you mentioned it earlier then I just missed it. Yes, it sounds like you do have valid concerns. Not an easy situation for sure. :(

If you mentioned it earlier then I just missed it. Yes, it sounds like you do have valid concerns. Not an easy situation for sure. :(

It was asked a couple of times earlier in the thread although not answered.

Update:

The designer has been "too busy" to go over the graphic review so the drafter was approached directly and they have since corrected most of the mistakes. It will be interesting to see if they learned something or if the mistakes will continue.

It does not sound like the issue with this designer has been resolved just just flashed over to avoid a conflict. I've had a person or 2 like this that I had to work with. You should by all means ensure that the product you yourself are putting out is at a standard that you find acceptable. But also cater to the designers wishes just make sure you cover your bases by maintaining a second set of options to back yourself up on. In other words do the drawings that you would know to be correct but produce drawings this designer wants. When the crap hits the fan because his drawings are bad you have a another set that better. Or refuse to work with this guy altogether. It's a fine line to walk.

The issue is still on-going. Unfortunately, I do not have the option of refusing to work with this person. I actually have to develop a working relationship with him. I appreciate all of the input that has been offered up here. The situation is being "handled" or so I'm told. I'm sure things are going to change for the better. Probably not tomorrow or next week, but they will change, sooner or later.

In other words do the drawings that you would know to be correct but produce drawings this designer wants. When the crap hits the fan because his drawings are bad you have a another set that better.

Doing two sets will take too long though...

Or refuse to work with this guy altogether. It's a fine line to walk.

That is a good way to get fired at most places.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have brought this to the designer's attention and he is unwilling to correct his behavior, you need to go to your supervisor/manager and explain how this is hurting the drafters. The next move should be your supervisor either talking directly to the designer or going to the designer's supervisor. If that still doesn't work, take it to the next level of management. Do not neglect the chain of command and take it as far up as it needs to go before the problem is corrected.