How to draw a Cranked Beam/Slab in AutoCAD-MEP?

James7s

Hey guys,

I am very new to AutoCAD-MEP, and I am actually not using it at all.

I am looking into switching from Vanilla AutoCAD (2D Drawing) to MEP in next project, and I am now assuming I was using MEP in my current project (by Try-and-error) to familiar with it before dealing with a real project.

But I am now facing a problem, I know that I could used "Structural Member Style Wizard" to create difference size of "Beam" object, and add it into drawing with "Beamadd" Command. But, When I look into the structural details sheet in my project, the structural engineer have created a lot more wrie-shaped beam. for example: Cranked Beam

cranked beam.jpg

I know that, If I "have to" make it, I would draw 3 beam object to "simulate" a solid beam like that.(if a silly method works, then it is a good method).

But, during my current project, the Architect just keep moving the wall, partition line and even the floor level(about twice a month, average) and the Structural engineer keep changing size of beam even few days before concreted(OMG how they could do that?),

I would better to find a method to create section and analysis the consequence (In terms of MEP Service) of such changes in a very short time.

I wonder if I could create a crank beam or a cranked slab object?

Structural Members in AutoCAD MEP are based on Profiles. All you would have to do is create a profile and apply it to a custom structural member. If/when the profile changes, it'll automatically updated the 3D geometry when you make the changes at a later time.

Since you say you're "new" to AutoCAD MEP I will admit that doing this particular task is not a beginner level task. It's intermediate at worst. But point being you'd need some basic knowledge of the Style Manager to complete this small venture, and a working knowledge of the Display Manager for changing colors and detail levels. Are you familiar with the Style Manager and Display Manager in AutoCAD MEP?

-Tannar

Style Manager... Seem like Greek to me.

To preform a section drawing, I am using dynamic block and define a block with parameter to define the shape of the beam...

if dynamic block could do 3D, I am probably making it 3D and using it instead of looking into MEP.

I have already created dozens of different type of dynamic block (from Slab to Pipe fitting) to speed up drafting works.

but it seem not working in similar way...

cranked beam2.jpg

So, if I am going to use the MEP, I should study further in "Style Manager" and "Display Manager",

and create a template namely my style with every single type of object(Style?) I could imagine before I could use it on a real project?

(Of cause I have no much time to create tools when I am facing a real project)

Crank beam3D.jpg

OK, by Now, I Know that I am able to make the Crank Beam by 3section: a Normal Beam, a Crank Beam Style and another Normal Beam. This Sound silly and quite "Not BIM style", but at least It works...

But I quite wonder, Let say,

In a project, I have 6 style of Beam,

100x200 RC Beam,

100x300 RC Beam,

100x400 RC Beam,

200x200 RC Beam,

200x300 RC Beam,

200x400 RC Beam.

so, I have to create 6 type of styles for each type of beam

Can I just create a Style Called "WxD RC Beam" and leaving W and D as a custom parameter for me to input?

It seems to be quite time consuming if I create a style when I needed.

in 2D dynamic Block, I could easily do this, but it seems like I have to create a hundred of styles to cater every single small changes in a drawing

I'm glad you are inquiring about AutoCAD MEP because it's miles above and beyond standard AutoCAD. Yes you can make things parametric, but again these are not easy tasks and you will need to have a certain amount of investment into the AutoCAD MEP platform to be able to do these things quickly and easily in future scenarios.

In AutoCAD MEP, type MEMBERCATALOG at the command line. From here you can browse the stock library of installed structural members. This way you can get a feel for how they work. You can piece together the profile using members such as Nominal Cut Lumber as a few "squared" pieces, which will be parametric.

Then you can use AutoCAD MEP's auto-sectioning tools to generate live sections of items you are designing.

Also, Dynamic Blocks need to be deserted if you want to pick up AutoCAD MEP, because they are 2D and of no real use in a 3D parametric drawing space. Instead of fittings, use the Pipe or Duct tools which have a full library of ANSI standard fittings, all 3D, all parametric, all with an awesome assortment of creation, editing and scheduling power.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49570[/ATTACH]

It seems to be quite time consuming if I create a style when I needed.

in 2D dynamic Block, I could easily do this, but it seems like I have to create a hundred of styles to cater every single small changes in a drawing

Just create your beam as a parametric mvpart. You can then modify the parameters how ever you want and do not have to be tied down to a specific style.