Trouble Importing AutoCAD dwg file into SketchUp

JAE-GrupedZn

I am new to this community ... so a little patience, please. I have SketchUp 8 Pro and AutoCAD LT 2014 on W8 OS. I have never been able to import a dwg file from ACAD. Now I have the time to try to track down this problem.

When I try to import a clean dwg file into SU ii get the following message ...

Error opening AutoCAD import file: Invalid Dwg Version

This does not appear to be a valid AutoCAD DWG or DXF file or the file is write protected.

H E L P!

I don't think Sketchup pro version 8 is compatible with the AutoCad 2014 file format. There was a BIG file format change in 2013 AutoCad. Try doing a save as version 2007 dwg from your AutoCad program and see if that makes a difference.

Be sure to clean up your DWG as much as possible as SU works better with clean DWGs. Remove any dims, text, hatches and such. SU likes lines, cicrles and acrs.

Plus 1 to that Glen! I have started using the imported acad file as a reference only. I retrace all line over the imported acad lines. I bring in the acad file and then group it and start tracing over. This gives me a much better final product imho.