Properties Window is a No-Show

Bill Tillman

AutoCAD 2013 w/SP2

Almost everyday now I notice that my Properties window which I keep docked on the left side of the screen as an icon will disappear and no matter how many times I try to bring it back up it will not resurrect unless I restart AutoCAD. Has anyone else noticed this anomaly?

I'm going to be watching for it today. I don't change workspaces that often so I can't rule that in or out just yet. I just restarted AutoCAD from scratch this morning and the Property Icon is docked over on the left as it should be. If it disappears again today I'll try and make some kind of observation as to what I was doing when it happened.

Well lookie there... I don't think I've ever glanced at the ABOUT section! Learn something new every day, I guess!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Sorry to be so dense about this but I keep getting confusion from the other users as well as myself. A user approached me this morning and said his toolbar disappeared. So I looked at his screen and sure enough the Properties toolbar was missing. He is running AutoCAD 2014 Mechanical. I'm running 2013 vanilla. I'm using AutoCAD classic as my workspace and so is he. When I right+click on the upper part of my AutoCAD window I can select which toolbars to add to this area and one of them is Properties. Mind you, this is not the Object Properties window which I have docked on the left side of my screen. I can add or remove this toolbar easily in my setup but on the other user's system, when I right+click the same area and choose ACMechanical, the Properties toolbar is not available as a choice.

Can anyone enlighten me on this? Because in searching for help on this I keep running into articles explaining how to turn on the Properties Window (shown on the left side of my screen), not the Properties toolbar.

ACAD Properties.jpg

Down at the bottom right of the page should be an icon that looks like a gear.

This is the button you select to change from AutoCAD Classic to AutoCAD Mechanical (and back).

There is a selection there that says "SAVE CURRENT AS".

Once you have changed to whichever mode you want to be in, & have the settings the way you want (i.e., which toolbars you want to be shown, where you want certain toolbars to be docked, etc.), you use "SAVE CURRENT AS" to create a profile (give it an unique name).

If all goes well, every time you select that particular profile, AutoCAD show open to your previous settings.

You shouldn't have to continue re-opening toolbars, every time you open a new session of AutoCAD.

Hope this helps.

AutoCAD Properties Window 2.png

AutoCAD Properties Window 3.png

Edited by vertical horizons
added picture to clarify

I don't have Mechanical, but the ACMECHANICAL list will only show the toolbars that are included in the Mechanical CUI. If you can't locate the Properties toolbar in any of the lists, try typing -TOOLBAR (include the dash) at the command line and when prompted for a toolbar name, type Properties. AutoCAD should either load the toolbar, or prompt "toolbar not found"

I got "Toolbar not found"....that doesn't seem right. The other day this gentleman had the Properties Toolbar in his setup. Then we had a complete power outage and I mean complete. Even the backup power generators failed and computers which normally would have remained online went out to lunch. This is when he tells me that he lost his toolbar...but it only appears to be the Properties toolbar.

Did you try VH's solution? If in "Classic" workspace, then the Properties toolbar certainly should be available. If not, then perhaps the user is using a different profile than before the outage?