Snap to dimension line

Hi people, I need help regarding the snaps command. Im trying to start a line from the basepoint (the point where the dimension line is anchored to) of a dimension line. However when I want to start the line I get 2 snap points, the actual basepoint (node snap) and the endpoint of the extension line. When the drawing is zoomed out where i can see the entire plan, it snaps to the endpoint (Which i dont want to) and i have to zoom way into the detail to grab the snap i want. It makes it to complex to zoom out and in again everytime.

TUrning the Dimensions layer could be an option, however i would like to know if there is a satting to prevent this.

The extension lines of the dimensions must be offset, so extending the line to its basepoint is not an option. Disabling the Endpoint snap is not going to work either, since i need that snap. I tried to be as clear as possible. If not, let me know how to fix this. I dont want snaps to the extension lines of my dimensions. :unsure:

snaps.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• yayingo

• nestly

• RobDraw

• JD Mather

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you remove Endpoint as one of your osnaps but retain Node would that not solve the problem? You should not be zoomed so far out in your drawing that AutoCAD becomes confused as to what osnap it should be recognizing.

There is a setting to ignore selection of extension lines when dimensioning, but I forget what it is. Good luck with your search.

This post seems to indicate it is something new

http://www.cadlinecommunity.co.uk/Blogs/Blog.aspx?ScoId=edd27031-967c-40a5-a459-6696fe3728e1

but I am quite sure I learned about it some time ago when I still used AutoCAD.

In my opinion AutoCAD should never have recognized extension line endpoints as dimension snaps. No logic to that.

I think it might have been an undocumented variable, or maybe my memory is faulty and it was previously only for ignoring Hatch.

I think it might have been an undocumented variable, or maybe my memory is faulty and it was previously only for ignoring Hatch.

You are thinking of Mechanical which has filters for dims.

IMO, you should never snap to the node (or extension line) of an existing dimension. That makes the 2nd dimension associative with the first dimension, not the geometry, and as such will cause the dimension to be classified as either not associative or partial associative. In either case Annotation Monitor will rightly indicate a problem with the dimension (unless that feature is disabled.)

Even discounting the associativity issues, I would not advise snapping dimensions to points (nodes) as they don't represent physical/measurable points that can be used during construction, or on the finished product. Accurately snapping dimensions to the geometry shouldn't be any more difficult than accurately snapping geometry to geometry during the construction of the drawing/model. Turn off NODE OSnap (at least during dimensioning.)

I also agree with rkent... prior to 2015 AutoCAD never had any Osnap options specific to dimension objects. I only knew that to be part of Mechanical.

If you have both Endpoint and Node as as well as other osnaps then use oSnap cycling (TAB) while making your pick point selection.

IMO, you should never snap to the node (or extension line) of an existing dimension. That makes the 2nd dimension associative with the first dimension, not the geometry

Good tip!!!

Good tip!!!

There are plenty of worse things you can do in AutoCAD - but in this case the OP is saying he wants to start a line from the node.

There are plenty of worse things you can do in AutoCAD - but in this case the OP is saying he wants to start a line from the node.

Not such a good idea.

What if that dimension wasn't snapped correctly? Or even worse, was snapped to another dimension that was not snapped correctly?

I did misunderstand the original question, but I think the principle is the same. Avoid snapping dimensions or geometry to dimension objects. Instead disable NODE (at least temporarily if necessary) and snap to the geometry, not the NODE that's associated with the underlying geometry.

Well I suppose it depends on what the OP wants. There may be a reason behind wanting to start a line from the node. As for snapping a dimension from another node it appears it doesn't associate to the original dimension - it just retains a "partial" association.

Thanks all for your comments.

I dont really want to start a line from a node. I want to start a line from a corner in my drawing, which happens to have a dimension line. The extension line from the dimension line starts on the corner of my geometry. Whenever i start the line command, i want my line to start from the same corner on my drawing, but it snaps to the end of the extension line of the dimension line (which is offset from origin) AND the corner itself (node snap), depending on how zoomed in I am into my drawing and where i have the crosshair. Sorry if it is a little confusing, trying to type as clear as possible.

Disabling Node snap doesnt work either. It snaps to both (geometry corner and end of dimension extension line) as Endpoint snap.

It can only be "snapped" to one at a time, in your case, either the endpoint at the corner, or the "endpoint" of the extension line.

Are you familiar with the Aperture? --> Link

I realize it snaps to one at a time, but when the drawing is zoomed out, i cant tell wheter it snaps to the Endpoint of my geometry or to the Endpoint of the extension line. For accuracy matters, i would have to zoom all the way in at every point associated with a dimension line. Let me check the link. Thanks for your reply