Who got to choose the CAD software they use?

Pablo Ferral

I was discussing the merits of various CAD packages with my buddy the other day, and I was thinking about why I use the CAD software I do (AutoCAD & Inventor).

I have a question for the group - why do you use the CAD software that you do?

Did you get to examine a number of different CAD packages before you made your choice?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Paul

Why use the software that you do? Because that is what the company you work for has invested in.

Do you get to choose what CAD software your company uses?

I have had to do just this in the past.

Note that this was in 1999 so things have moved on since then.

I was working for a company that was using Hewlet Packards ME10 and the MD though it was time to look at what other options were available.

As I had used other CAD packages before I worked for them he tasked me to take a look at the situation.

Without naming products, I first looked on line at various packages (believe it or not we did have the internet back in 1999).

Having selected 5 to investigate further I discussed these with my workmates and the MD and then got in touch with the companies involved (resellers werent a big thing for the commercial market back then you went direct to the software house).

Of those contacted 3 were willing to come to our factory, see what we were doing and give a demonstration of their programme.

Two of those fitted in with what we wanted for the future and could also handle our legacy drawings.

So it then came down to a personal choice of which one I thought was the best suited to our current working methods and personel; and which would cause the least disruption in the changeover, on that I made my recommendation.

I also gave my second choice and the reasons why I thought one ranked above the other.

Of course I didn't have the final say, after all it wasn't my money getting spent.

As I turned out I left that company three months later before any change was made.

But keeping in touch with my old workmates, nine months after that they had moved into a new factory and changed their CAD software to the one I had recomended. They are still using this to date as I found out recently when I went to a seminar hosted by that particular software company.

(I said I wouldnt mention names but NO it wasnt Autocad that I recomended, I only started using Acad after I left that company).

Edited by nukecad

I have a question for the group - why do you use the CAD software that you do? Did you get to examine a number of different CAD packages before you made your choice?
Back in 2005 I approached my boss when it was time to upgrade my version of AutoCAD. I told him, instead of upgrading to AutoCAD, how about we upgrade to this Autodesk Building Systems (aka MEP) and told him it was only $100 extra ($5,000 vs $5,100 for the suite). This is how I originally was introduced to Revit, which came later down the road. But to answer the second part of your question: yes, it was through 30 day trials that I was able to examine different CAD programs, as well as the blessing of Autodesk Suite's for other's.

I used AutoCAD MEP at first because I downloaded the trial and liked how it was automated, and 3D. Both of those items interested me. Little did I know that with me simply wanting a "new toy" at work, I would eventually be approached by our then senior estimator regarding BIM. I looked into it, went to the kickoff meeting and told everyone I knew I could do it and the rest is history.

But it was a boss who was more than supportive in allowing me to take my position by the horns and act on my intuitions. I did the same later with Revit, but by the time I was fully committed to learning it, the decision had be made shortly after that Revit was the platform of choice no matter what. So the timing couldn't have been better. Now, I fully choose Revit, although it's also the only design program used in my company now. New hires and interns don't even get AutoCAD installed.

I can use whatever I want/need and I choose AutoCAD

Nothing else I've looked at and/or tried is versatile enough for my needs.

Edited by nestly

Nothing else I've looked at and/or tried is versatile enough for my needs.
I still wonder why AutoCAD MEP hasn't hooked you yet? It seems like the absolute perfect solution, especially since it's "AutoCAD" at the core and you can choose how much "MEP" you need to use.

Guess it still never worked for you? The piping tools are simply fantastic compared to plain jane solids modeling, other than some of your more sophisticated elbows and fittings I've seen you do.

When I thought I was going to change jobs I took an AutoCAD course at college - the only CAD course available. That directed me to AutoCAD as the system of choice.

When I started here they were already on AutoCAD having dismissed another system. Since being here we have had a regular turnover of subbies so sticking with vanilla ACAD increased the talent pool although how some of them claim to be fluent in ACAD is beyond me.

Now we are owned by a large American corporation and their global CAD package is AutoCAD Electrical so that is what I use.

Apart from 5 months on a different system (one who's greatest trick was allowing you to close without being prompted to save) I have been AutoCAD all along. All choices made for me by whoever I worked for at the time.

The first CAD program I tried was CADapple, running on an Apple IIe computer (dual disc drives) in 1983 followed shortly thereafter by VersaCAD and AutoCAD on my first IBM XT. I abandoned the Apple IIe in favor of the IBM and in 1985 chose AutoCAD over VersaCAD. I recommended the program to the consulting engineering firm I was working for at the time and they eventually bought a single copy which I shared with two engineers. I've stayed with AutoCAD ever since although I have sampled other programs (CADkey and Pro/ENGINEER for example) over the years. The next two companies I worked for left the choice of what program to use up to me as neither had CAD capability until I came on board.