cut planes

bjenk8100

Hello,

Well it took awhile to figure this out so maybe for the other newbies this might help. Cut planes for floor planes are opposite directions than ceiling plans. It makes sense now but man I thought I was losing it. I could not see my ceiling tile grids for hours. I will make a question out of it. Floor plans have your cut above what you want to see and ceiling plans have your cut below what you want to see? Very smart way of doing it if that is correct.

Floor plans have your cut above what you want to see and ceiling plans have your cut below what you want to see? Very smart way of doing it if that is correct.
That is not correctly worded. The cut plane is the same location. It's the orientation that changes. Floor Plan Views orient the view as if you were standing on the floor, looking down at your feet. Ceiling Plan Views orient the view as if you were standing on the floor, looking up at the ceiling. It's the range between the Cut Plane and the Top Plane that throws people off in thinking it's the actual Cut Plane that moves but it's not.

But yes you figured out a nuisance for beginners of Revit. It drives people nuts at first. How do you think us MEP guys feel? Ceiling Plan Views actually reverse duct/pipe/conduit elevations. It's so bass-ackwards it forces MEP guys to use Stacked Views on Sheets when showing ceiling grid. Definitely a "Revit Fail".

8)

This is interesting. My plan is to draw some walls for a typical building with just the reflected ceiling plan and fixtures/totters. All is good minus you cant see anything on my first level 0 which I heard is normal. I go to ceiling plan and I see everything which is fine. I want to use that view to plot and all would be good. However, I go to sheets and add a view to a sheet (reflected ceiling) and it just shows the fixtures and not the grid. I need the grid, fixtures and floor plan. Why cant I add the ceiling plan view and only reflected ceiling plan view? ERRR!

I'm not totally following your description so forgive me if my first answer doesn't fix your problem... but try setting the Top Plane higher. Usually it defaults to 7'-6" (Imperial, anyways) which is 6" lower than a typical 8'-0" ceiling so it won't show. There may be some other things too, such as Detail Level, or customization in the Fixture Families that show up in a View Range that is set too low/high.

Just keep adjusting the View Range and Cut Plane(s) and see how they react.

wow just figured it out. I went to ceiling plan and changed underlay to floor plan and it worked. makes no sense whatsoever to me.

maybe because grid is associated with walls and walls are associated with floor. Arent fixtures associated with grid if you align them so i would think that fixtures are associated with grid and grid with walls. this program is crazy like that.

Ceiling Plan Views orient the view as if you were standing on the floor, looking up at the ceiling

If that were the case, the ceiling plans would be reversed. Actually, you are looking at a mirror on the floor. That's why it's called "reflected".

If that were the case, the ceiling plans would be reversed. Actually, you are looking at a mirror on the floor. That's why it's called "reflected".
That is correct!! Definitely forgot to mention that it's "mirrored" technically. Thanks for the backing me up on that Rob, that's an extremely good point.

:)