VBA/Macro weirdness

Mr_Joe

Greetings,

This is my 1st post, please bear with me. We recently upgraded to Autocad 2012 along with new hardware and a 32" screen. (very nice.) We were running 2006. I do post tension detailing and we have a few sub-routines (PT utilities) that are critical to my work. These programs were written in the late 90's I believe. I'm sure you already know where this is going. The gal that worked here before me, remotely installed (or tried to) these "Utility" programs on my PC. Only a couple of them work. The programs that require Microsoft Word or Notepad do not work. Also, it appears that when we open the 2012 file with an earlier 2006 version it somehow corrupts the file and the computer so that PC cannot perform the function on this or any other file(s). Needless to say productivity is at a standstill. And the boss is pissed. I am completely lost here.

Any advice would be helpful.

Respectfully,

Joe

It will be tough to give advice without a better understanding of all the parameters involved. There were several changes to VBA between 2006 and 2012; the most significant being the VBA’s availability. That requires a secondary download/install for AutoCAD 2012.

With regard to “file corruption”- are some of these utilities set up as embedded VBA macros?

Hi,

Thanks for responding. Firstly, an outside draftsman we occasionally use, was sent a file and asked to do the "Cut" sheets. He is running 2010 and has ALL the same Macros we use. The file we sent him some how corrupted his computer so that he cannot perform those same functions. The Macros are; Dim Spaces, Beam supports in Elevation, Beam supports in Plan View, Uniform or band supports, draw tendon, count chairs, count band support bars, total bar length, beam endview and cuts. These functions are critical to our production as they produce the reports necessary to inform the production what to manufacture. Regarding the corruption issue. I do believe these routines are embedded. Occasionally I do have to load the macro but not to often.

I guess I will start by finding the VBA for 2012. Get that downloaded and try to find a way to load the macros. BTW I am an extreme novice. When my programs are working ALL is good and productive. Upgrading was necessary as Windows XP is no longer supported. This is where all my problems began.

Any help is appreciated.

Joe

If I had to guess, this problem probably needs the attention of someone more than “an extreme novice”. I’d also guess that these routines are proprietary, i.e., not something that your company would willingly post on a public forum.

If that is not the case, post a drawing file with the embedded macro, or the .dvb project file. Several members of this forum are VBA programmers.

If proprietary:

It may be worth coordinating a meeting with the gal that worked there before you, the outside drafter, and, if not already one of those two, the original programmer to reestablish/update the workflow.