Can I tell 2014 not to show whole xref when moving xclipped reference?

Not a major issue but it is something that is bothering me at the moment.

I have x-reffed my floor plans into my stair detail drawing to ensure that my drawing coordinate. As the plans are of a large building and I'm interested only in one stair I've xclipped the plans down to a sensible size.

I'm now moving the xclips about for presentation and when I start moving them the whole x-ref appears which is making it difficult to accurately place them as I'm getting confused with what line belongs to what (it looses the dimmed effect too!)

This is probably a really simple variable I've forgotten.

I do not know of that variable but a solution would be to map out your move before hand. Give yourself reference points with a line, or any other objects you like, to designate base and destination points..

I normally just use object snap tracking which I have set up to only pick points I select with the shift key. Trouble is the x-ref is blocking out the reference points so I wanted to turn it off. Can't see an obvious way of doing that. XCLIPFRAME seems to be the only variable and all it does is change if the clipping frame is displayed.

Here are a few more stabs at a solution:

DRAGMODE might help you out.

Move your references so that the XREF does not interfere with your OSNAP selection. They can be anywhere, it's the displacement that is the critical part.

Turn off or freeze the XREF layers but leave one on so that you can still select the XREF. If that doesn't work, you could place something in the XREF on a unique layer and turn off all the others.

Cheers Rob, dragmode is the one. However it also turns off the visibility of the text, blocks etcetera when I move those. Might have to create a macro or LISP for temporarily changing the dragmode!

Might have to create a macro or LISP for temporarily changing the dragmode!

One more for the list of variables that you only need to change temporarily.

I'm now moving the xclips about for presentation and when I start moving them the whole x-ref appears which is making it difficult to accurately place them as I'm getting confused with what line belongs to what (it looses the dimmed effect too!)

This is probably a really simple variable I've forgotten.

I don't know the answer to the problem and it appears the problem has been solved above.

However, I would say the problem is of your own creation. If the main design you are xrefing in is on the correct coordinate system then why are you moving the xref in your file for 'presentation purposes'? If you want to move your stair design and xrefed file for presentation purposes then setup a viewport in paperspace and move the view in the viewport (and vport freeze off layers as required etc).

I don't know the answer to the problem and it appears the problem has been solved above.

However, I would say the problem is of your own creation. If the main design you are xrefing in is on the correct coordinate system then why are you moving the xref in your file for 'presentation purposes'? If you want to move your stair design and xrefed file for presentation purposes then setup a viewport in paperspace and move the view in the viewport (and vport freeze off layers as required etc).

All floor plans are set out at 0,0 of the survey drawing and orientated to true north. Hence when I bring in the top floor, bottom floor and intermediate floors they are on top of one another and I prefer to have one viewport in a drawing where possible and seperate the floors so they fit on the sheet in model space and freeze the unnecessary layers in model space so I can see what I am going to get.