Posting from new CAD machine

f700es

Not quite ready to move over to it yet but so far so good.

Specs:

Dell Optiplex 9020 $1,600

Intel Core i7-4770 @3.4 GHz

16 GB ram

Nvidia GeForce GTX 645

256 GB SSD primary HDD

1 TB secondary HDD

DVD+-RW drive

DVD-Rom drive

Windows 7 Pro

I have r2014 installed but waiting for our CAFM system next week before I can move 100% over. AutoCAD is almost instant in starting. I have not tried any large files yet so no info there. PS in CS5.5 is almost instant as well.

You almost can't hear it running.

My only minus is that with 2 DVD drives we couldn't get a card reader installed and will have to go external. Oh well, not a bad problem to have I guess.

More to come.

system rating.JPG

With 7-cores sitting mostly idle, what a waste! :ouch: Come on Autodesk...

It's actually a quad core with hyper-threading so it technically 8 cores (no idea why they call it a i7). It does show up as 8 cpus in the device manager in Windows. AutoCAD does use multi-threading in rendering and screen redraws. This machine will be doing more than AutoCAD. Revit 2015 is being installed as well as a render with Maxwell.

It's actually a quad core with hyper-threading so it technically 8 cores (no idea why they call it a i7). It does show up as 8 cpus in the device manager in Windows.
I think that's what Spaj meant... it's 8 cores, you need at least 1 core doing something so that leaves the other 7 idle because you're not taxing the processor yet. :)

And congrats on the new rig. Very similar to the one I built myself a while back. SSD's will change your life and I'm not kidding. You'll never go back to a mechanical drive as your primary. And get Revit on there already!! I'm patiently waiting for your questions to start rolling in so I can assist in easing the transition for you....

Yeah Revit going on soon (maybe next week), I am going with 2015 as we have it available. Oh many questions will come. I am thinking of redrawing one of our smaller buildings in it as a learning experience.

Yes I am impressed with the SSD drive. Was looking last night at some sales for the home PC. I'd have to do a re-install of 7 for it though :( Such a PITA for sure.

I am thinking of redrawing one of our smaller buildings in it as a learning experience.
This is by far the best approach to beginning Revit - recreating something that's already done, during your downtime or when you have availability.

Yes I am impressed with the SSD drive. Was looking last night at some sales for the home PC. I'd have to do a re-install of 7 for it though. Such a PITA for sure.
Yeah, I still think it's worth it. Nothing like a good fresh format/install of Win7! Just pick some dreary rainy day when the wife and kiddos are out and about. That's what I do haha.

This is by far the best approach to beginning Revit - recreating something that's already done, during your downtime or when you have availability.

I agree and I use this same approach when trying to learn any new software. Re-creating something you are already familiar with makes learning much easier.

Yeah Revit going on soon (maybe next week), I am going with 2015 as we have it available. Oh many questions will come. I am thinking of redrawing one of our smaller buildings in it as a learning experience.

Yes I am impressed with the SSD drive. Was looking last night at some sales for the home PC. I'd have to do a re-install of 7 for it though :( Such a PITA for sure.

Most SSD's come with software to clone your current hard drive on the new one. Makes it pretty easy.