Landscape Design Advice

Batmann77

Hi everyone,

I've just got myself AutoCAD 2104. I've never used AutoCAD before, so I've checked out some of the tutorials in the tutorials section to get an idea of the basics.

I want to create an existing landscape of my own home in AutoCAD. I will only be making an outline of the house itself. The focus is on the landscape.

I want to make an edible landscape. This will include plants, trees, ponds, rocks, garden beds etc.

I need someone who has experience in creating this sort of thing, so that I can find out how to get started, where I can get blocks from, how to use AutoCAD with a landscaping focus, making a 3D rendition etc. Or maybe someone can point me in the direction of a good video? I have searched around, but I haven't found exactly what I need.

Remember, I know next to nothing about AutoCAD, so please, go easy! :D

Kind regards,

Jimmy.

Blocks and hatching will be a good starting point.

See

for a basic hatching video.

See

for a blocks video.

As you can see, YouTube has lots of good AutoCad tutorials.

Further on blocks, Google, search here for landscape, Tree blocks, some are free, some small cost, some generosity of others. Lastly 2D & 3D

Thank you Organic and BIGAL. These are exactly the types of tips I am looking for!

The hatching will definitely come in handy, and if I can't find the blocks I want for free, at least I know how to make my own now!

I tried importing a birds eye view of my house off Google Earth via the 'Set Location' feature in AutoCAD, but I'm having a few troubles.

1. I only want my house, not the rest of the geographical region as well.

2. How can I turn that birds eye view of my house into a drawing? Do I have to literally trace the lines over the photo? Or is there a magic button in AutoCAD that does that for me? :P

Nope, no magic button. You will have to trace the lines over the photo.

Personally, I wouldn't even fool around with the Google Earth image. Just go out and take measurements. Sketch the rough layout and dimensions on a pad of paper and then come back inside and create the drawing in Autocad.

That sounds like a much better way of doing it Cad64. The image is terribly blurry anyway.

Well, I guess I've got something more to do tomorrow now :D

I'm sure i'll be back asking more questions in no time :P

Why is that, mikekmx?

straight line stuff and basic curves etc is pretty easy, so the house would be ok.

depending on the shape of the gardens, if it's on flat ground or a few flat levels, may not be too bad to get the basic stuff i suppose.

if it's not all flat - has loads of complex slopes, mapping and drawing the gardens in the 3 planes is the challenge.

adding tress, plants etc in 3D another massive challenge imo. I've seen plenty of photo-realistic AutoCAD output, but can't remember 'scenery' being modelled - it's a 'background'. I've never seen any decent 3D blocks of trees and plants (although i'm sure there must be plenty). I'm fairly sure my PC wouldn't be able to handle them too good if they were at all detailed.

rendering the scene

filesize

I'm sure it's possible though in AutoCAD, not sure it would be the best program.

I've tried my garden a few times, most recently about 4 months ago, but again i have given up. It's not 'square'. I get measurements as accurate as i can but when i come to draw it, it just doesn't work. Sometimes AutoCAD is too accurate (if you know what i mean?)

Ah, I understand. Have you found a program that is better suited to landscape design?

Perhaps I will just stick with 2D for AutoCAD.

Ah, I understand. Have you found a program that is better suited to landscape design?

No sorry, i only use autocad but i'm sure someone else could advise. Perhaps sketchup.

You will get some real nice autocad 2D drawings house/garden done fairly easily.

Hi everyone,

I've just got myself AutoCAD 2104. I've never used AutoCAD before, so I've checked out some of the tutorials in the tutorials section to get an idea of the basics.

I want to create an existing landscape of my own home in AutoCAD. I will only be making an outline of the house itself. The focus is on the landscape.

I want to make an edible landscape. This will include plants, trees, ponds, rocks, garden beds etc.

I need someone who has experience in creating this sort of thing, so that I can find out how to get started, where I can get blocks from, how to use AutoCAD with a landscaping focus, making a 3D rendition etc. Or maybe someone can point me in the direction of a good video? I have searched around, but I haven't found exactly what I need.

Remember, I know next to nothing about AutoCAD, so please, go easy! :D

Kind regards,

Jimmy.

perhaps marzipan & food colouring? :)

I guess I missed the part about this being done in 3D. I thought you were just doing a 2D layout plan. :unsure:

I do 3D landscape renderings all the time for my clients. You can see some of my work by clicking the link in my signature. I have been using 3D Studio Max for years, but recently I've started using Modo more and more for this type of work. I get my trees and shrubs from Evermotion and Xfrog. They have a lot of great content on their websites. But having said all that, you're looking at a major investment in time and money to purchase the software, learn how to use it and buy all the 3D plant models you will need for the project.

Good luck ;)

No sorry, i only use autocad but i'm sure someone else could advise. Perhaps sketchup.

I thought sketchup wasn't around anymore?

perhaps marzipan & food colouring? :)

Haha, oh you're too funny :P

I guess I missed the part about this being done in 3D. I thought you were just doing a 2D layout plan. :unsure:

I do 3D landscape renderings all the time for my clients. You can see some of my work by clicking the link in my signature. I have been using 3D Studio Max for years, but recently I've started using Modo more and more for this type of work. I get my trees and shrubs from Evermotion and Xfrog. They have a lot of great content on their websites. But having said all that, you're looking at a major investment in time and money to purchase the software, learn how to use it and buy all the 3D plant models you will need for the project.

Good luck ;)

I will be starting with a 2D design, then maybe going 3D. After thinking about it though, I don't think it's necessary for this design.

You do some amazing work! You need to be working in the games industry with talent like that! :D

I thought sketchup wasn't around anymore?

Haha, oh you're too funny :P

I will be starting with a 2D design, then maybe going 3D. After thinking about it though, I don't think it's necessary for this design.

You do some amazing work! You need to be working in the games industry with talent like that! :D

1st hit..........

http://www.sketchup.com/

Thanks. Hopefully some of the stuff I'm working on currently will help me get my foot in that door. :)

Battman77 dont be afraid of 3d you can get fairly simple 3d trees or make them yourself, sure they are not photrealistic like Cad64, but enough in a 3d view to give an idea, I did one lisp to create a ball of leaves you controlled how many leaves, to give impression of a small shrub. Will try to find done a long time ago. Basic shapes like cones, spheres are part of Autocad in built solids. Just remember you have to crawl before walking and people like Cad64 and Remark just run on past.

We have a couple of trees like a Palm and its just made up of a taper and branches, the branch is a flat block so can be scaled and added as different size. It just takes a little bit of experience in adding the branch block at 3d points.

I would search here for user YMG he has posted a free surface create lisp, you can take 3d pts, survey levels, make your 3d surface.

I use plines and thickness for house walls with Pface for roofs, pretty sure other people here like Remark also will help to suggest how to draw a house or building simply. Post some photos in a zip 4 elevations and suggestions will follow.

1st hit..........

http://www.sketchup.com/

I literally searched that last week and it said it was discontinued! Thanks :)

Thanks. Hopefully some of the stuff I'm working on currently will help me get my foot in that door. :)

I imagine you will have no troubles whatsoever! :)

Thank you BIGAL for that information, and Cad64 for the link :)