Back to drafting

gweloboy

Hello

I have been out of the technical world for a few years and am trying to get back in.

I use ACAD 2000 for my own projects but realise the 3d world is upon us. I have a copy of Inventor 7. Is this good enough to get started on? I have no contacts to get a newer 'pirate' version. Personal opinions aside, is Solidworks any better than Inventor?

Has anyone tried the online vendors selling suspiciously cheap software?

Cheers

Hello gweloboy, welcome to the forum. Since you are new here, there are a few things you should know.

1. CadTutor does not condone the use of pirated software and we don't promote websites that distribute cracked software.

2. As for those sites that sell programs for ridiculously low prices, here's a little information that may be of interest to you: http://www.hoax-slayer.com/cheap-software-spam.html

If you're looking to purchase software, I'm sure you will get many opinions about which program is best suited for your needs.

Please do not take offence at the next few lines.

Apart from getting a loan from the bank how do private individuals purchase an up-to-date version of any AutoCAD or Solidworks software? Drafting in SW Georgia pays about $15 to $25 an hour and without being a smart-alec about it, I have yet to meet anyone who has purchased CAD software for home use / training.

I would NOT recommend taking out a bank loan to buy software.

If you're looking to get hired by a company that uses these programs, you should focus on getting the programs that are most used in your area. Meaning, don't get Solidworks if most of the companies around you are using Inventor. You will have to do some research to find out which way to go. Once you settle on which programs you need, enroll in some courses at your local college. Students can get Autodesk software for free: http://www.autodesk.com/education/free-software/all

Apart from getting a loan from the bank how do private individuals purchase an up-to-date version of any AutoCAD or Solidworks software? Drafting in SW Georgia pays about $15 to $25 an hour and without being a smart-alec about it, I have yet to meet anyone who has purchased CAD software for home use / training.
"Drafting" may only pay that much an hour, but that's if you're gainfully employed. If you're a contractor, then you're looking at more the $30-$75/hr range, depending on the type of drafting and who you're drafting for. It's much higher if you have to consider your own overhead, price of the software, price of expenses (driving, computer equipment), self-employment taxes, etc. $15-$25/hr means you don't pay overhead, you don't buy your own computer, software, benefits, etc.

People purchase legal licenses all day long as independent contractors. You can finance the Building Suite Premium for around $300/mo, which is fine if you're making a great living at drafting or modeling. The monthly expense is not a private expense, but a business expense that is entirely deductible. Drafting vs modeling: that brings another point... "drafting" is becoming a thing of the past very quickly. AutoCAD is being used less and less and programs like Inventor, SolidWorks or Revit are now becoming main stream which are "modeling" programs. This requires more skill, usually more training, and provides much higher contract rates or salary rates.

These are also things to consider if you're trying to get back in. In my opinion, getting back into "drafting" is a bad idea and you should look into "modeling" instead. Inventor/SolidWorks for machine or product design, Revit for use of BIM in the AEC industry, etc.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the forum! :)

I don't take offense at that; what I do take offense at is your username. If your email address on your resume was anything similar then it is unlikely someone will hire you. Your job application would be binned immediately as far as I'm concerned.

Most individuals don't. A lot of companies have it setup where users can use the work license at home when it is not being used at work (yes, the license allows this).

You could always use Draftsight or similar.

I see the sarcasm in your response and I can appreciate it.

You can lease AutoDesk software on subscription. For instance, AutoCad LT 2015 (2D only) rents for $45.00 per month. The full version is around $200.00 per month if I remember correctly. Go to the AutoDesk website and look it over.

This expense situation is exactly why one meets a lot of resistance to the use of pirated, or "cracked" software among the professionals on this forum. I have been drafting since the early 1970's, and have been an independent contractor for the last six years. While I was working for another company in 2008, I purchased my first personal version of AutoCad LT 2007 from a third party re-seller at a discount after the next version was released. It cost just under $1000.00, and I have worked up a release or two since then. After having put that much money into it, I tend to be resentful of anyone using illegal software, even though I can understand the motivation.

I just found This on Amazon.com, an unused leftover open box AutoCad LT 2007 for $115.00. I cannot vouch for the legal-ness of the software, but I am pretty sure it is OK. Stuff happens. A friend of mine works for an office supply chain store that re-sells AutoDesk products, and they have found left over software in the warehouse before. AutoDesk no longer supports this older version, even though it probably can be licensed and used.