CAD university project HELP

ruuduk

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and new to CAD. As well as working full time as a Site Manager i am also studying part time as a distance learner.

i have a year long project where i need to convert a detached building (previously 2 semi detached houses), in to a boutique hotel. Unfortunately due to the birth of my first child i am unable to attend the CAD leactures so i am "one of those" self thought (well i am trying).

i have been working on the existing layout drawings now for 4 weeks and they are still fairly basic and i'm as of yet to start the elevations!

The new layouts i have started with a rough idea of where i want to take it.

This is where i am asking for help, is there any wiz kids or CAD lovers out there who would be willing to help me progress my drawings quickly? or even just go through what i have done and tidy them up?

If not one other point i ask for advice is being clueless i started to draw and continued in the model tab at 1:1 but never set any page limits so i'm unable to put them on a page to print at a set scale, is there an easy way to rectify this?

Cheers

You can print your drawing to scale in two ways.

1) Directly from model space using a set scale like 1:50 (metric) or 1/4"=1'-0" (imperial).

2) Directly from paper space using a viewport or more than one. The viewport is assigned a scale but plotting is done at a 1:1 scale (1 unit = 1 mm or 1 unit = 1 inch).

Is your drawing being done in metric or imperial units?

Would you be willing to attach a copy of your drawing, as it presently stands, to a subsequent post?

What distance learning program are you enrolled in?

ReMark, cheers for the advice. i am drawing in metric at the moment and im studying a Foundation construction management course with the 18 month top up for the full BSc Hons degree. Making me feel old this course being a maturer student :)

I have tried to attach the DWG but the file is 1.15mb which is too large for the forum. im happy to e-mail it over if that helps? (wont zip small enough either)

You might want to purge the dwg to clean it up and reduce size then zip it, should be able to get it down to 1mb.

If you search my posts you will find some templates that are already set up for metric A2 and A3 in paper space, just click inside the windows and select the scale require from the bottom right options, there are also some usefully line weights , dimensions style in there.

This is where i am asking for help, is there any wiz kids or CAD lovers out there who would be willing to help me progress my drawings quickly?

Most people on this forum would be considered 'wiz kids at CAD'. Post your specific questions and plenty of people will be happy to help as ReMark did above.

or even just go through what i have done and tidy them up?

Yes, people will look at your drawings and tell you what you have done wrong and how to do things better. They generally won't change/fix the drawing themselves through.

If not one other point i ask for advice is being clueless i started to draw and continued in the model tab at 1:1 but never set any page limits so i'm unable to put them on a page to print at a set scale, is there an easy way to rectify this?

You don't need page limits; I don't think I've ever used them.

You should be using paperspace layouts with viewports looking into the modelspace

See

and
to get started.

ReMark, cheers for the advice. i am drawing in metric at the moment and im studying a Foundation construction management course with the 18 month top up for the full BSc Hons degree. Making me feel old this course being a maturer student :)

I have tried to attach the DWG but the file is 1.15mb which is too large for the forum. im happy to e-mail it over if that helps? (wont zip small enough either)

Sign up for a free account at Dropbox (https://www.dropbox.com/home) and upload the file there then post the download link to the file here.

can pay a small amount of money if it helps!

No one is selling their services. The help offered is for free. We can't do it for you though as then you don't learn.

Re: drawing file. You have two options.

1) Upload the file to a file sharing website like Dropbox as previously suggested. Anyone here that is interested then can download it if you provide a link.

2) Attempt to reduce the file size and attach the drawing to a subsequent post. To reduce the file size follow these steps.

a) Use the Express Tools OVERKILL command to eliminate duplicate and overlapping lines.

b) Run the command line version of the PURGE command which looks like this: -purge (you must include the dash). The first time you run it purge Regapps. The second time you run it do a purge > All.

c) Run the AUDIT command and answer "Yes" to AutoCAD fixing any errors in the drawing database.

If that does not reduce the file size enough then you are left with option number 1.

I would be willing to take a look at your drawing, for free, if you were to email it to me. But let's see what happens with the two suggestions above first.