The WORST sketchups ever (pic included) how do i deal with this??

jwalkeroh

OK, so i have 8 houses with 3 floors a piece that I need to draft up in cad.

The guy who took the measurements gave me 24 sketches of 24 floors that look like this.

The problem is that when I add up all of the measurments on adjacent walls, they are different.

How can I make something that is supposed to be a rectangular object in cad when walls are different specs?

Its hard to see in the picture. Does anybody know what I mean? Have you ever had to draft something that doesnt add up logically?

Is there an option in cad to make a lopsided house??????

The left side is 34'11'' and the right side is 33'7''

ideas?

81GzpGR.jpg

0628141817a.jpg

It's really hard to read all that, but if you truly feel the measurements are incorrect, contact the guy who gave them to you and ask him to verify the dimensions.

They are pretty bad, but I have seen field dimension sheets that make those look like Michelangelo did them. I drew a huge condo remodel last year where they would knock down a wall right after I drew it on the plans, several times. Design change.

Are they As-builts? I don't see any wall thicknesses. That may account for the differences. Somewhere on one side, there are plumbing walls that are much thicker than the normal partition walls. I'd say the sketches are pretty unprofessional. Without wall thicknesses the drawings are incomplete.

Before you start, make it known to whoever provided those drawings, what the deficiencies are. The last thing you want to do is work in these for a couple of weeks before that person is informed of what you are dealing with. Don't be confrontational, (but I guess you know that) just say there seems to be some missing dimensions you could use further verification on.

The living-room/dining room side seems pretty straightforward. I'd use that as my starting point, and work to it.

You may want to draw each room separately and then bring them together, sorta like a puzzle. That may help you find where the Wet Walls and HVAC chases are. Expect to find thicker walls between the bathrooms, kitchens, and adjacent walls, and the closets and stairs. Those are all likely places to run pipes and ducts up through.

I don't know where you are, but here in the U.S. stairs are a minimum of 37" wide finish to finish, and closets are a minimum of 25" deep fin. to fin.

A typical interior partition is made of 2x4's which are 3 1/2" wide, then allow at least 5/8" of drywall on both sides, totaling 4 3/4". Somebody will have to tell you how thick the exterior walls are, they vary too much depending on materials. Yeah, I know, drywall is usually 1/2" thick, but walls are bumpy, studs have crowns.

It is entirely possible that one side is longer than the other, if there is a vertical break in the elevation, but I can only guess.

I see the windows and doors are not located either.

Let us know how it goes along. Feel free to ask more questions, and for more advice.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. You will like it here.

It's really hard to read all that, but if you truly feel the measurements are incorrect, contact the guy who gave them to you and ask him to verify the dimensions.
While you're at it ask them where these people pee and Brush their teeth.

ALSO

Im downloading autodesk architecture.

Is this easier to use for floorplans than basic CAD?

I've often wondered how draftsmen get to simply go off and download software like this.

The answer is yes it is easier to draw houses with, but much harder to learn, and the software is wasted on simple residential houses. Stick with AutoCad. Walls are rectangles with the overlapping ends trimmed and then joined.

I've often wondered how draftsmen get to simply go off and download software like this.

I think that's a question better left unanswered. When I see people stating they have absolutely no experience with Autocad but yet they have this $4,000 program in front of them, I try to just look the other way. Unless they are students with an educational version, I don't want to know how they got it.

Yeah, no kidding. Where's the toilet and the sink? Maybe they've got an outhouse out back and they brush their teeth down by the river. They do have a tub though, so at least they can take a bath on Saturday nights. :lol:

Don't forget that anyone can download and use AutoCAD for free for 30 days.
Yeah, that too. But subsequent users of the drawings get the unlicensed warning when opening the drawings, don't they? Not confidence inspiring among the clients.

Yeah, that too. But subsequent users of the drawings get the unlicensed warning when opening the drawings, don't they? Not confidence inspiring among the clients.

I don't think so. The trial version is exactly the same as the full version I thought?

I think that's a question better left unanswered. When I see people stating they have absolutely no experience with Autocad but yet they have this $4,000 program in front of them, I try to just look the other way. Unless they are students with an educational version, I don't want to know how they got it.
Gosh this is so true and I couldn't agree with you more. I definitely have to look the other way too.

I don't think so. The trial version is exactly the same as the full version I thought?
Yes it is, with the exception that it is not licensed for commercial use. - I just tried to find whether one can use the trial version for commercial purposes on the AutoDesk site. Without downloading a program, it seems impossible to read the usage terms, and searching the topic among the FAQ's returned only comments relevant to the student version, and most of the answers were downright wrong from non AutoDesk posters, and not followed up by AutoDesk comments.

I gave up the last time I tried to look this up, about a year ago too.

It's the room that backs up to the closet (5'-10"x8'-7").

The trial version agreement states that it may only be used for evaluation purposes, however there's really nothing to stop someone that doesn't have any regard for the trial license agreement from using it for commercial purposes during the trial period. There's no type of warning or plotstamp added to drawings created with a trial license.

Autodesk's trial and EDU programs rely heavily on the honestly and integrity of those using them. Unfortunately, I'm sure they realize there are many that abuse their generosity, and include a margin for it in the price they charge to honest customers.

The trial version agreement states that it may only be used for evaluation purposes, however there's really nothing to stop someone that doesn't have any regard for the trial license agreement from using it for commercial purposes during the trial period. There's no type of warning or plotstamp added to drawings created with a trial license.

Autodesk's trial and EDU programs rely heavily on the honestly and integrity of those using them. Unfortunately, I'm sure they realize there are many that abuse their generosity, and include a margin for it in the price they charge to honest customers.

True enough, but AutoCad does examine the drawings for license information, and informs the current user of the creating software status. "Warning, this drawing was created by a non-AutoCad, or non-licensed program. This is not a Trusted AutoCad Drawing." ... or words to that effect.

Don't forget that anyone can download and use AutoCAD for free for 30 days.

And how is that relevant at all?

And how is that relevant at all?

I'm sorry. I should have quoted this: