Problem drawing 3D object

jamami

Hi

I am really struggling trying to draw the attached pin in 3D autocad.

It is the wire I cannot work out, I am gueassing I need to transfer 2d geomtery onto a 3d plane (attempt shown on a3 attached)? Also bodged attempts shown at a1 and a2 where the incorrect side profile and transitions can be seen. I would really appreciate any guidance on how to do this.

qrpin.jpg

a2.gif

a1.gif

a3.gif

pin.dwg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jamami

• ReMark

• JD Mather

• lrm

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Something more or less along this line? Yeah, I know, it's a hack job but I did not have a lot of time to finesse it.

Clip1.jpg

On second thought, I like this version a little better.

Clip2.jpg

Edited by ReMark

I am guessing I need to transfer 2d geometry onto a 3d plane

Just for the record - there is no such thing as a "3D plane". By definition, a plane is 2D.

I would really appreciate any guidance on how to do this.

I would use Autodesk Inventor 3D sketch intersection of 2 2D sketches (looks like you have those, but I didn't open the file). It looks like ReMark has made a ReMarkably good result in AutoCAD.

I think there was an example of this same part in the Inventor forum below in the past year. A search (if I knew what to search on) might turn up the thread.

Extruding two 2D surfaces might be a way to extract the 3D intersection curve in AutoCAD to use as a Sweep path, but I have kind of lost touch with how to use AutoCAD. Hopefully ReMark or someone else will explain how.

I really like this example for students - I might have to find my original solution. Wish I knew exactly where to look.

Well remembered

That was me last year! Trying to learn inventor, but have given up.

I am really looking to see if this is possible in Autocad.

I assume the correct method would be to sweep a circle along a spline path, but creating a complex spline like that is beyond my expertise.

I think ReMark's teaser was done by extruding the profiles to solids in the first sample, and extruding profile centerlines to surfaces, extruding, then sweeping a circle along the surface intersections.

Spring Pin.gif

I assume the correct method would be to sweep a circle along a spline path, but creating a complex spline like that is beyond my expertise.

I think ReMark's teaser was done by extruding the profiles and filleting the intersection. Fairly simple, but probably the desired solution.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49730[/ATTACH]

I love the video, how did you do that?

It is the swept path option I have been trying to resolve, the wire is a constant 2.34mm diameter, so as far as I can see the swept path is the only option?

Clip3.PNG

The other end. Close perhaps but not perfect.

I like nestly's approach so I'm bailing out after my feeble attempt. Good luck.

A interesting 3D geometry challenge, especially for AutoCAD. One approach is to construct a 3D spline along the center line using one orthogonal view. then go to another ortho view and with ortho mode set move the control vertices so that they line up in that view. I used splinedit and often changed the ucs to View to control the movement of vertices. When I had a centerline for one half of the geometry I used Sweep to make a solid and then Mirror 3D.

Clip_1.JPG

Clip_2.JPG

Clip_3.JPG

Clip-render.JPG

lrm

P.S. I did this before seeing Tuti95's nice solution.

This looks perfect. But I would like to know how you transferred the ARc geometry onto the end features?

Are the attachments movies? Whenever I click on them they take me to an iLivid Installation screen?

jamami, the attachments are screen image captures not movies.

I eyeballed the fit points for the spline after I brought the two copies of your engineering drawig into Autocad (the images of course need to be scaled and aligned before creating the spline). In hindsight I should have used your Autocad file and snapped Fit point to the arc yuo created. I just wanted to create something quickly

The process for creating the spline is as follows:

1. Create the spline center line working in one ortho view (e.g. the front view). You can add extra fit point later if you need to.

2. Adjust the fit points as needed working only in the front view plane. Your goal here is to get a good approximation for just the front view.

3. go to an adjacent ortho view (e.g., the right view). Change the ucs so that it is parallel to the view with UCS V.

4. Turn on Ortho mode.

5. Select the spline and drag fit points so that the spline lines up with the geometry for the right view.

This process does take some technique. I find that sometimes I would rather work with CV's (control vertices) rather than fit points. You can switch between the two modes. Use SPLINEDIT Edit-vertex Move. Once you use SPLINEDIT to move Fit points the spline's CVs will appear. A spline goes through a Fit point while CVs are what the database uses to represent a spline. CVs generally do not lie on a spline, except for the first and last CV. The 2nd and next to the last CV point defines the slope of the spline (via the vector from CV 1 to CV 2, and CV n-1 to CV n, where n is the number of CVs). YOu can also use SPLINEDIT to Add vertices and to loosen or tighten curvature between CVs via the Weigh parameter.

In the image below you can see that I used about a dozen CVs.

Clip_4.JPG

I hope this helps.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49751[/ATTACH]

JD

Does this help?

I found it a few minutes after you told me it was you who posted the original Inventor question.

The Inventor example that was posted was actually a little bit more work than is actually required - the solution could have been simplified.

I wish I had time to work out a proper AutoCAD solution (simple intersection of surfaces for the 3D path), but I use AutoCAD so seldom anymore that I have forgotten how. I could trim and xedges, but I seem to recall there is an easier way in recent releases.

Well, I just figured out how to do it in AutoCAD, but I just have a hard time motivating using clunky interface.

I'll see if I can work up an example tomorrow.